Banner Ad 1

First Time Sub Builder-Robbe U-47

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

fillers

Postby stringfly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:07 pm

For filling larger areas use Evercoat's Easy Sand. A easy to use polyester filler you mix with a included catalyst. (Casewell carries it) For small shallow areas and scratches use a glaxing putty like 3m's putty. Both available at auto finshing and parts stores. Stuff works great and sands easy. On my U47 I used a lot of the modeling puttys and they were a pain. This stuff works great !!!. A picture of them on my Seaview build.

Stringfly <>+++++
stringfly

Re: fillers

Postby noney » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:01 pm

stringfly wrote:For filling larger areas use Evercoat's Easy Sand. A easy to use polyester filler you mix with a included catalyst. (Casewell carries it) For small shallow areas and scratches use a glaxing putty like 3m's putty. Both available at auto finshing and parts stores. Stuff works great and sands easy. On my U47 I used a lot of the modeling puttys and they were a pain. This stuff works great !!!. A picture of them on my Seaview build.

Stringfly <>+++++

Thanks Stringfly, I'll order some of the Evercoat from Caswell. I see a tube of 3M Acryli-Red Glaze Putty in one of your photos. Is that the product you are referring to that can be purchased from an auto finishing parts store?

Gene
Time is a patient predator.
noney

fillers

Postby stringfly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:01 pm

Yes... I got both from my local car paint supplier. Actually a little higher priced then caswell's but no shipping cost.
stringfly

sanding note

Postby stringfly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:13 pm

Just a note. Both fillers have to be sanded wet. If not they just fill up the paper right away. For big filled areas you can use files or rifflers and clear them with a file wire card brush. Get wet/dry sand papers in 220, 320 , 400, and 600 grits.

Stringfly
stringfly

Postby noney » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:08 pm

I haven't posted anything for awhile as my house is up for sale and I have encountered several interruptions. In addition, this thread is really not as interesting as most of the others appearing in this catagory. My intent, however, is to illuminate some of the pitfalls and problems a novice kit builder such as myself may encounter as I go along. Maybe it will help someone else such as myself.

I finished building the tray and set it aside, and have moved on to step #2. It would seem logical to gather all the parts for this step, ID them, and set them together in a separate pile. The instruction manual does indeed identify them by part #, name, dimensions, and number of parts. At the same time, the plan sheet lists the part by number and shows it in the exploded view in the plan step. The part is also identified on the plan sheet showing all the different parts........usually.

As I said, I have begun step #2 and my first thought was to locate, ID, and gather all the parts listed. That was working fine until I got to parts 2.7 Spacer strip, and 2.8 Spacer. I could not find them! They were shown on the step plan sheet, but not on the parts plan sheet nor could I indentify them in the plastic bag of parts for this step. I sent a PM to "Stringfly" asking for help in which he replied, but because I had not told him I had not read the step "narrative" his answer was only partially helpful. Not his fault. When I did read the step narrative, I found that these two parts were made up from leftover parts from the previous step and from parts being used in this step. The point here is that even if you read all the instructions before you begin the build (which I did), read each step again before you begin assembly.

I have run into another problem on this step. The Keel Strip, Part 2.4 does not extend past the Hull Center Sections at the beveled end as far as the plans appear to show. The Keel Strip is aligned on the Hull Center Section using the front hole as a guide. The front hole placement was pre-marked on the Keel Strip so drilling it in the wrong place would be difficult. The hull sections are cut correctly, again incorrectly cutting them would be difficult. Does anyone have any comments?

Other than I should have photos, which I intend to provide but am not able right now, does anyone have comments regarding this thread? Am I too verbose, am I providing any information worthwhile, is it worth the effort to read? Please let me know. Thank you.

Gene
noney

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Gene,

I'd say keep this thread going. If you are having questions and the occasional problem with such things as the directions, I'm certain that others have or will have as well. An and all information and insights on building an r/c sub, no matter what the kit is or what your skill level is, is useful information to someone. That's one of the reasons the SubCommittee exists...to help share information.

-many thanks,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby tsenecal » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:15 pm

keep going, at whatever verbosity level you feel comfortable with, and as you said, if you could post photos, they would certainly help.

my problem is that it has been so long since I built mine, that I can't remember what I did for specific problems.

tim
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby noney » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks Jeff and Tim.

I have run into another problem. The instructions call for 17ea 5mm drain holes 30mm apart to be drilled into each hull half. The plans do not show these holes, but two photos, F4 and F5 partially show them. My problem is "where" on the hull to start. This is not clear in the photos or in the written instructions. Photo F5 shows holes in the hull beginning at the center hole drilled in the Keel Strip, but I run out of hull before I run out of holes to be drilled. I suspect that since the group of 17 holes are drain holes, that the grouping is simply centered along the hull at the required 30mm spacing. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thank you.

Gene
noney

Postby tsenecal » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:57 pm

This one i can answer:

it doesn't matter where you start. these drain holes are completely "fake" and only exist on the model.

I think i took half the 30mm, and started 15mm from the rear seam, and drilled holes for pretty much the whole length of the center piece. I am pretty sure that I didn't bother to count how many I drilled.

I can take a picture of my hull when I get home, and post it later, if that helps.

Tim
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby noney » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Great Tim thanks! :D With more experience I will recognize things like this. I can now get on with the build. Please do post any photos you think would help me. I have been looking at other Robbe U47 build threads and the photos there, but it seems the problems I run into are not one's others have. Thanks again.

Gene
noney

Postby tsenecal » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:02 pm

glad I checked,

there are 17 holes, and it looks like i was wrong about where I placed them.

there appears to be a molded line where the rounded body bulge of the main hull meets the keel at the front of the middle section. that appears to be where I started the holes, drilling every 30mm from that point aft.

tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby noney » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks Tim, you have made it clear and have saved me a lot of trouble in more than one way. I used the enlarged photo to check out how you finished off the keel, and it answered questions I had there. I feel a lot more confortable now. Thank you again.

Gene
noney

Postby noney » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Well, it appears our house has sold and we are moving to Fredericksburg, Virginia. I say "appears" because the closing papers have not been signed, and until they are, we cannot be sure of anything. Nevertheless, I have stopped work on the U-47 and packed it away for transit via moving van. Below are some photos of where I am on the build and my attempts at a secure pack. I am hoping that there is someone associated with this hobby and/or forum that lives reasonably close to Fredericksburg because I certainly can use assistance. We expect to purchase a home with a pool, or one that we can put a pool in the backyard. Perhaps this will enhance my chances of someone contacting me that lives close by.

Gene

noney

Previous

Return to Builder Threads