Banner Ad 1

Steve Neill builds a Big Dave Seaview

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Steve Neill builds a Big Dave Seaview

Postby U812 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:43 pm

Wayne was kind enough months ago to send me a Seaview and fittings kit. It has been sitting ever since while I finished the BK and Nautilus. I was also waiting to see what BigDave would come up with as I prefer it to using gas systems. And what he came up with and designed he sent me. I'm to be the Guinea pig. It's a well thought out design and is based off his first hybrid system. This one is straight RCABS. It uses a single pump and bladder. It also uses some very clever vacuum proof seals he designed that allow for internal o-ring replacement. I'm very thrilled about this new designed seal.

The cylinder is based off his very successful past RCABS designs that have been running my Type 7 and other subs without problems for 4 years now.

The fittings kit is very nice from Merriman. Very precisely made rudders, dive planes and other parts that will save me much time over making the included kit parts functional. I won't be using the nifty PJs he made for the boat as BigDave also sent me is single pump jet unit. This works much like a ducted fan jet. The unit sits inside the hull and is driven by a single 550 high torque, low amp draw motor coupled to and external PJ that divides the the water streams through ducting into both exhaust out lets in the Seaview.

I will show all how this gos together and functions bit by bit. I am currently producing my own movie for the net. The film film be pay per view. This will be my 9-5 or more job Monday through Friday for awhile. But every night I will do a couple of hours work and what I can on the weekends. Sort of how you guys have to build. No lightning fast job this time. So bare with me.

More to come tomorrow folks. Let the build begin!

Steve

U812

Postby U812 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:44 pm

This cylinder uses the motor out of the King's Ransom. It's a high torque 550 with a low amp draw. This one is quite literately out of my King's Ransom as Tower is backed ordered on replacement motors. It was easy to remove and since BD made all the holes to mount it already it was easy to drop in and screw in place as well as adding the motor shaft seal. The seal was siliconed in place and the mounting screws siliconed over to prevent leaking.

Next to make the servo and ESC rack.

Steve

U812

Postby Bigdave » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:16 pm

I am very anxious to see how the RCABS version and new seals work myself. Really looking forward to your build Sir!! :D
Good luck with the beta-testing. :roll: :shock: :lol:
I would be remiss if I did not point out that although I was the one who expertly molded the PPJ parts, and designed the thrust director system. :roll: :lol:
That the pump jet itself was designed by my good friend and fellow 8-Ball Crazy Ivan. :D
Thanks for letting me use your design in my system. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanks Crazy Ivan then! And thanks BD!

Steve
U812

Postby SeaHorse » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:55 pm

Steve, BD's seaview ran very well at a regatta this weekend. Caught a pass or two of her below the water while I was operating my sub. He has that baby trimmed perfectly! Good luck with your build :)

BTW, look to your left...yes i finally got the 17b back in the water. She ran well too!
Paul Strassner
SC 2813
SeaHorse

Postby petn7 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Why are you using new seals? Is there something wrong with the BHS-1 seals?
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby expfcwintergreen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:45 pm

petn7 wrote:Why are you using new seals? Is there something wrong with the BHS-1 seals?

The new ones don't need to be fed as much as the old ones...
expfcwintergreen

Postby Bigdave » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:55 pm

Yea, what he said!! :lol: :lol:
No, these are just my own version of a seal assembly. The BHS-1 is great!!
Although the center seal assembly is a dual back to back cup seal. And I don't believe anyone sells them. So I made my own. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby petn7 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:09 pm

expfcwintergreen wrote:
petn7 wrote:Why are you using new seals? Is there something wrong with the BHS-1 seals?

The new ones don't need to be fed as much as the old ones...

What?
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby petn7 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:11 pm

Bigdave wrote:Yea, what he said!! :lol: :lol:
No, these are just my own version of a seal assembly. The BHS-1 is great!!
Although the center seal assembly is a dual back to back cup seal. And I don't believe anyone sells them. So I made my own. BD.

Is your seal a back to back cup seal, with the advantage being the seal will still work if the WTC is pressurized?
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:00 pm

I think Chris had to much RoadKill. :lol:
That is correct. It can be pressurized and evacuated with hopefully no leakage. It is just a prototype. Steve will let us know the outcome.
Sorry for the slight hijack Mr. Neill. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby expfcwintergreen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:12 pm

Not *enuff* roadkill.... :D

It's an old joke, "go feed the shaft seals". Ask Kevin.
Then we send you out for a can of relative bearing grease...

Ooops... Sorry Steve... :roll:
expfcwintergreen

Postby U812 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:00 am

Paul thanks a bunch. I'm glad to see you got her going. I don't even have one anymore!

Well my two hours tonight got the business aft section of the cylinder nearly done. Got the equipment tray made, servos installed and ESC. A Viper 10.

The ESC is Velcro held. The two servos are opposed and held in place between themselves and the copper plates wit RTV. Since the tray is very adjustable with the nuts they are tight to begin with.

Next to wire every thing up. Put a RX inside and connect everything. Check to make everything is working right and hook up the bladder. Then I can move on to the PJ. This is fun!

Steve

U812

Postby U812 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:05 pm

Had some time on my hands today so I finished off the WTC. Pretty!

On to the PJ!

This WTC is a little gem BD! I especially like the cable tunnel through the ballast section. Folks on both ends of the brass tunnel is a large resin washer and an o-ring that pushes into the end caps. What's great about this is it allows for complete disassembly of the WTC if needed. Me likey!

This WTC was a joy to assemble. As usual BD did a great job.

Steve

U812

Postby U812 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:32 pm

You know I hate turning on the power the first time on any RC model first built.

It hasn't happened to often. But sometimes a dumb a** gets his wires crossed and you get a bunch of smoke.....or nothing happens at all...or your servos crank over because you forgot to remove the control arms until they center and strip the gears..or the whole darn thing just blows up like a can of snakes.

But I'm happy to report all I did was plug the battery in and presto! Everything was dead on and working great.

Now to check for leaks. They are the easy fix over all other listed problems.

It all works BD! Just like a Swiss watch.

Steve
U812

Next

Return to Builder Threads