so its been a few days since ive posted an update. may not look like much, but there has been quite a bit more work on getting the tecumseh ready for sea.
first, there was the issue of a larger-than-id-like gap in areas where the hull halves come together. dont laugh, yes it looks sloppy and overdone, but it works. i spackled on a bunch of resin in about a 50/50 mix with microballoons, and slathered it over the gaps in the seam. once set, the piece came apart and the excess sanded down smooth.
in going with the dock-side look, i installed the 10 sets of cleats, 2 capstans, and the bullnose on the bow. let me take a moments here and express the fact that, now and forever more, I HATE CLEATS! how many times was i getting snagged on them, or bending them, or in a couple of cases ripping one of completely, in which case i had to fashion a new one from some very thick solder and file it down to the correct shape. what a pain in the ass. also in the end, i snaded and smoothed over the detail of the retractable housings so that just the cleats themselves were visible out of the hull. long story, but it was either that or lose my mind trying to get every little seam 100% correct. ugh...2 days for 10 cleats. time to just give up and go the easy route!
each missile hatch has a small grated opening, slightly off center. i needed more area for air to escape from under the missile deck, so i decided to open these up. i wanted perfect square openings, and so used square brass tube, cut to a short length, installed within the apx opening, filled in around the edges, and sanded down flush with the deck. as you will see in a later picture with some dark primer on the deck, it turned out great.
(a word to the wise - dont forget eyewear when cutting brass with a dremel. i spent the morning with a doctor trying to find the brass flakes lodged in my eyeball that have caused me to go blurry for a few days...)
one other small detail i decided to add were the hinges on the missile hatch doors. these are clearly visible in many a photograph of this boat that i have from the era. each missile door had 4 hinges, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom, making for a total of 64 total needed. the smallest workable steel wire i could find was 0.020". one by one they were put into place. and yes, theyre holding just fine....
i also began a bit of work on the sail. in the pics, the orginal paint job has not yet been removed. i simply wanted to drill the pilot holes for the hand ladder rails. there is a vertical line of 12 going up each side of the sail, then one more forward of the top rung, and then 2 more leading from top sail down to the walkable area of the fairwater planes. i printed the pattern on paper, pre-punched the holes, taped it into position, and drilled them out with a 1/32" mini drill bit.