Banner Ad 1

caswell sub driver ballast cap

Place for general submarine conversation

caswell sub driver ballast cap

Postby xxl » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:51 pm

My ballast cap keeps breaking lose every time i surface on my cawell meriaian sub driver what can i do to make it stick?
Captain Ramius: You're afraid of our fleet. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Postby expfcwintergreen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:54 pm

What kind of boat is this in?
Are you using gas or the snorkel setup?
Can you post some pics of your installation?
expfcwintergreen

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:55 pm

Is the ballast cap *very* easy to insert into the tube? If so, then I suggest removing the o-ring and laying a strip of plastic tape over the o-ring groove to make the seat for the o-ring larger. This should make the end cap fit tighter.

-Jeff

p.s. When you lay down the tape into the groove, do not overlap the ends or it will leak!
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby petn7 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:17 pm

JWLaRue wrote:Is the ballast cap *very* easy to insert into the tube? If so, then I suggest removing the o-ring and laying a strip of plastic tape over the o-ring groove to make the seat for the o-ring larger. This should make the end cap fit tighter.

-Jeff

p.s. When you lay down the tape into the groove, do not overlap the ends or it will leak!

You can also use teflon tape and not worry about overlapping and wrap the tape as many times around the o-ring grove as necessary to make a tighter fit.
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:19 pm

Never tried that....sounds like a good alternative!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby M. Munger » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:39 pm

Another option/idea would be to use a section of bicycle inner tube, overlapping the tube and endcap, kinda like a wide rubber band to retain the endcap. I've also used both electrical tape as well as teflon tape to decrease the gland depth. Depends on what you have laying around!

Good luck, please let us know what solution solves your problem!

Matt
SC member #1848
What part of "Bonds skin instantly" DON'T you understand?? :-P
M. Munger
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:57 pm

I believe that XXL is working with a Trumpeter Seawolf conversion by Caswell/Merriman. He has had a few issues with the wtc but is moving ahead trying to resolve them one at a time.
I'm not familiar first hand with the Sub-Drivers but aren't the pressure caps retained by FH screws ? Perhaps someone could chime in here and toss a few possible solutions at the endcap problem or could XXL be more informative as to what he has tried to overcome this situation.
Just trying to help this guy get his boat running.
Frank
fgroza

end cap

Postby Rick Teskey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:51 am

I have used e tape and what works well is 1/8th pinstripe cheap and easy no trimming .
Rick
Rick Teskey
SubCommittee Member

Postby xxl » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:23 am

i put a rubber band over it to hold it in place works decent but i was mainly woundering if their was a better way. This seawolf sub driver has been nothing but a pain
Captain Ramius: You're afraid of our fleet. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Postby Rogue Sub » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:18 am

I am guessing you are having difficulty with the forward end cap because the aft one is screwed in. If this is the case I would just silicone the front one in and call it! You dont need in there very often and silicone will come out when you need it to.

Kevin
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Re: caswell sub driver ballast cap

Postby kazzer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:31 pm

xxl wrote:My ballast cap keeps breaking lose every time i surface on my cawell meriaian sub driver what can i do to make it stick?

But in this post, you clearly state -
xxlvv Joined: 03 Jul 2008

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:37 pm Post subject: 1/144 seawolf Big dave build Reply with quote
Well I am comited bought the trumpeter seawolf and caswell fitting for a big dave desings build . More to come

It says you have purchased the model and the D&E Fittings Kit, and purchased the WTC (not a D&E Sub-driver) from Big Dave.

Perhaps you could publish your name and address, so I can double check to see if you actually purchased a D&E Sub-driver. Your personal profile on the Subcommittee doesn't say a lot about you. Location 'earth' and interest 'subs' is pretty lame you know! :-) Who are you????

I would like to add that if you were having a problem with a D&E Sub-driver, we have no record of any complaint or any request for help.

We would, of course, like to hear about these sorts of things first, as these sorts of problems can easily be resolved without wasting bandwidth on these forums.

If you have problems with any Caswell products, please email/pm me or pose these questions on our product specific forum http://forum.sub-driver.com
kazzer

Postby xxl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:28 pm

I getting a Engel

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Postby xxl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:35 pm

maybe a vapor

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Postby Rogue Sub » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:48 pm

This is a blast from the past. Whats a vapor?
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby salmon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:55 am

XXL,
If that driver is from Caswell, they will take care of you! I have found their customer service to be outstanding! Do not threaten to buy someone else's driver without giving the maker a chance to fix it. If it is Big Dave's, I cannot speak from experience, but I would expect he will work with you, these guys are a great group.
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General