Banner Ad 1

Builders in the Boston area?

New England US Local Chapter

Builders in the Boston area?

Postby Sputnikk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Hello.
I am looking for some experienced modelers in the Boston area that can teach me about how to build a ship. I have the Afla Class hull and I am not sure where to start with the Rudder assembly.

If anyone has a night or two (and wants to sail) please let me know.
Thanks
Eric
Sputnikk

Postby Art Broder » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Eric,
I'd be glad to help, but you could get a wealth of information from several of the Subron4 members, if you attend the meeting this Saturday Aug. 16, at Social Pond, Woonsocket, RI at 11AM. E-mail me if you want to go with me or just get directions.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Myles Yancey » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:42 pm

Hi

My suggestion for you is to contact Bill Lambing and make arrangements to go to the Sub Ron 4 meeting, those guys will be more then glade to help you with wehat you need, the meeting is Aug. 16, then again get in touch with Art Broder he is in your area.
Myles Yancey

Postby Sputnikk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:13 pm

Thanks. Please send directions to
eric@sputnikk.com
I will see if I can make it down there.

Thanks
Eric
Sputnikk

Postby Myles Yancey » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:01 am

Sent you and e-mail with contact information :lol:

they will help you. 8)
Myles Yancey

Postby expfcwintergreen » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:19 pm

Just be careful of any food that may be offered... :D
expfcwintergreen

Postby Sputnikk » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:44 am

Sorry I didnt make it out on Saturday. I got caught up with Family stuff and could not get away. Is there a place that sells links for the subs, or does everyone make them theirselves?

I think thats where my hang up is. The aft section and how to get it all working. I need to order a WTC as sell. I was thinking D&C. Seams like the best.

Thanks again for all the help.
Eric
Sputnikk

Postby expfcwintergreen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:57 am

I make my own linkages and jumpers. Some brass rod/strip and wheel collars are all you need.

For a WTC, you ned to settle on a techology first; gas, RCABS/RCABS-R, piston tank, etc. Many ways to skin that cat. Then pick your supplier for pre-built or kit.
expfcwintergreen

Postby Sputnikk » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:06 am

Im not very good at soldiering, so I thought that someone might sell them out there. But I can see what I can do. I have to learn more about how to do it.

I will also look around this board for more detailed instructions on how to get the hull attached to the WTC. Im sure this will all make sense once I build one.

Eric
Sputnikk

Postby expfcwintergreen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:20 am

Eric,

To make the jumpers get a set of wheel collars from Tower Hobbies or another source that are sized to the rod on the control surface. You will also need some brass wire to bend into an arc that will fit the curve of your hull. Drill a hole in the side of the wheel collar to accept the wire (make sure that when they are installed, that the set screws face forward). Solder the wire to each wheel collar.

Make a tab from the strip brass that looks like a servo arm. Drill a hole that will accept a pushrod (just like the servo arm), and a larger hole that would accept the control surface rod. Solder this to one of the wheel collars.

Install, check for binding, tweak as required.

WTC saddles are easy. I cut a circle from lexan that is ~ the same diameter as the hull, then cut that in half. Then cut another semi-circle from each half that would fit the WTC diameter. These get glued into the hull so that the ballast tank is ~ where the balance point is. You can then put some brass hooks in the top of each saddle that will be used to strap the WTC into place with rubber bands.
expfcwintergreen

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:42 am

Hey sputnikk. What kind and size alfa do you have?
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Sputnikk » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:48 am

Sounds easy enough. But Doing is another story.

I have 1/96 Afla that I am working on getting the parts for.
I am also working on a Russian Surface fleet to go with. Cant wait to sail.

Eric
Sputnikk

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:49 pm

do you by chance have a scale shipyard hull. You know I just made a set of upgraded fittings for that boat. I could get you set up if you like.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Sputnikk » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:57 pm

Yes. I do have that hull.
Let me know the costs and what it includes.

Did you build one?
Maybe you can help me with my first.

Eric
eric@sputnikk.com
Sputnikk

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:46 pm

Yeah I am getting ready to paint mine actually. The original apendages were not very accurate and the kit didn't include the induction scoops or bow planes so, I made a new set. I am still working on a small problem with the stern planes. I cant seem to get the long piece of square brass to release from the mold after I am done! I could send you a set though. Also I had origionally made these for myself so you have to cut the control surfaces out of the stern planes and then make the edges rounded with ca and evercoat. If your up to it I will walk you through it and well get you there.
Here are a few pics of how it looks afterwards.

Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Next

Return to SubRon4