Banner Ad 1

Regatta '08 commentary by Mylo

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Regatta '08 commentary by Mylo

Postby Mylo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:21 am

Hey all,

Took me 3 days to get home. However, once I got my watch set to the correct time at home, I actually gained TWO hours instead of just the ONE that I set for. In true bone head style, almost missing my own seminar as a result is simply a classic move on my part.

A small hangup at the border:

Customs Officials : "What's in the crate ?".
Mylo: A 9' long model submarine.
Customs Officials : "Open it up, let's take a look" (doubtful tone).
Mylo : Opens crate and removes sub.
Customs Officials : "I'll be damned, it IS a model submarine. Where the hell in the U.S. did you buy that and where's your receipt ?"
Mylo : *sigh...anticipating much explaining* "There is no receipt, I made it."

20 minute delay later, I was granted permission to return to Canada, ....after sub thoroughly inspected for hidden drugs.

It was a true pleasure to finally put some faces to some names that I've come to know over the past 18 months during the process of my VIIc/41 build. As expected, all good guys.....even Merriman. I look forward to meeting again at another Regatta sometime. Everything about the Regatta was first rate in my opinion. Many thanks to all responsible.

Mylo
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby JefftyToo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:27 am

Mylo,

Meant to approach you after your presentation Saturday night and got distracted and then swept away. Sorry about that. Thanks for a wonderfully entertaining and inspirational talk. Glad you could make it and enjoyed yourself so. See you again sometime . . .

Best,
Jeff Porteous
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mylo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:50 pm

Jeff,

I found myself busy explaining further build elements on my sub after my talk so.........understood on your situation. I tried during my time at Regatta to have good discussions with as many of the guys as I could, the time went quickly.....I can't imagine actually having a sub there that worked, not enough hours in the day.

Should I put on another talk sometime, I'll lean a little more towards the psychology of model building as opposed to the actual mechanics of "how to do". I had many guys personally come up and thank me afterwards for the inspirational words that I intentionally, or unintentionally spoke. I could have put a lot more focus on that, should there be a "next time", I will. I was glad that the guys enjoyed my approach and presentation style none the less.

Mylo
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas