Banner Ad 1

Subminature Waterproof Toggle Switch for Seaview

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Subminature Waterproof Toggle Switch for Seaview

Postby diverdown » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:56 pm

I am assembling materials needed to build a RC Moebius Seaview, using a D&E Conversion.

I need a waterproof switch and boot. Details as follows.

• I have no picture. I am working from instructions supplied on a DVD. The switch is shown already in place and operational. The dimensions supplied here are taken directly from the plastic tube that contains the waterproof compartments containing batteries, ballast water and motor controls, micro servos and other operating software components. I am holding the bulkhead where the switch needs to be installed.

• The switch is a simple off / on toggle switch. Single throw should be fine.

• Basic Configuration -- The switch must have a stem that clears a 7/16" or 11 mm deep watertight compartment bulkhead, and can handle the power requirements of two (2) lithium-polymer batteries stacked to operate in parallel at 1300 milli-amperes mA, at 7.4 volts.

• Stem diameter -- should be about the same as a ballpoint pen -- approximately 7/8" or 22 mm. The width of the stem should be fairly standard -- 7/32" or 6 mm.

• Stem Length -- The length of the stem overall should be approximately 5/8" or 15 mm in length to allow for full clearance and adequate length for fastening of a watertight boot over the toggle along with a gasket on each side.

• The ones I have seen are simple subminature toggle switches with a waterproof (synthetic "rubber") boot that screws on to the side of the stem that will be immersed underwater. Attached is a sample picture of what I am talking about.

• Again, I am looking for an in-stock item. Nothing special, except for the need for the toggle switch to be waterproof, which so far seems to be very hard to find here in the States. I am estimating price per unit (switch) at $8.00 USD, and $7.00 USD for waterproof boot. I am looking for ten (10) switches.

Thanks very much.

[url=http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1ZCOYi][img]http://www.postimage.org/gx1ZCOYi.jpg[/img][/url]
diverdown

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:20 pm

You could make your own waterproof switch by using a simple sliding switch from Radio Shack (or equivalent), connect a brass rod to it and then feed the rod through a standard BHS seal. The rod is exposed to the outside...you push and pull it to operate the switch while the BHS seal keeps out the water.

I first used this on my OTW Type VIIC model as seen below....though in this case the switch is in it's own dedicated 'dive module':

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby diverdown » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:33 pm

JWLaRue wrote:You could make your own waterproof switch by using a simple sliding switch from Radio Shack (or equivalent), connect a brass rod to it and then feed the rod through a standard BHS seal. The rod is exposed to the outside...you push and pull it to operate the switch while the BHS seal keeps out the water.

I first used this on my OTW Type VIIC model as seen below....though in this case the switch is in it's own dedicated 'dive module':

-Jeff
Jeff, Thanks for your message. The picture was interesting. Thanks, but I'm going to keep looking (and asking).

Have been to a number of marine supply shops locally. They have the type of toggle switch I am looking for, but they are huge 12 VAC things. Just one of those things might sink my sub.

No, David Merriman has them. I've seen them. So, they must be out there.

Best.
diverdown

Postby Crazy Ivan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:21 pm

Something like this?

http://www.newark.com/14C7320/electromechanical-industrial-control/product.us0?sku=apm-hexseal-n5030s

Not a switch, but watertight boots that fit various size toggle switches. Newark Electronics http://www.newark.com/ carries a wide range of them. Search their website for "switch boot".

Larry Kuntz uses one for the mini toggle switch on his WTC. Maybe he will chime in here with the specific model number he ordered from them.
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

waterproof swich boot

Postby Art Broder » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:27 pm

Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Fastenal has them for around $6 for switch and boot. it is a HD switch for around 6A .
Frank
fgroza

Return to Television and Movie Submarines