Next I set out to make my stern planes. this was a bit more of a task but still a good learning experience.
Using the same method as the bow planes I cut out my picture and formed my renshape to size. After I got it to the right shape I needed to cut out a section of the dive planes to allow for the insertion of the creeper motor pod, which is one big thing it was missing in the first place. After using the drawing to make my lines I cut the piece out and turned my attention to the lathe.
To make the creeper motor pods I turned a piece of alumalite spruce left over from previous molds. Using my reference drawing and a set of dial calipers I turned the piece down to the largest over all shape of the pod. I then turned the fwd and aft ends to their max diameters. Now I just used a piece of Sandpaper and a block to form it to shape. Using my calipers to check the Dia. often.
Now I Ca'd the pod in the hole of the stern plane to make it all one piece again. I then made my fillets ( like the Russians love to do) with my finger, evercoat, and sandpaper. Sharp angles are just Un Russian!
I also made my markings for the location of the planes themselves on the main piece by using my drawings over laid on my main piece.
Sorry about the lack of pictures here but I was on a roll and really didn't get the camera out until I was nearly through. My bad!
Now I made a line to indicate where the control rod would pass through the piece and I drilled a hole through the piece. After that was done I inserted a 1/16" square brass. I then laid a piece of painters tape on the hole where the plane was to go and covered it with wax. I then mixed up a bunch off evercoat and laid it on the line and then smooshed my plane onto the hull using the brass as a guide through the preexisting holes. I let that set up for a bit and the just pulled it off.
I then took the sandpaper and evercoat to it to make my fillet to the hull.