Banner Ad 1

Steve Neill Nautilus scratch build

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Steve Neill Nautilus scratch build

Postby U812 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:22 pm

Well it's been awhile since I posted any building here. I spent the last 4 months working on a target from scratch. The Bronekater Russian armored patrol boat with a t-34 turret.

I made all masters and RTV molds for this one with the hopes as offering it as a kit. But the work was so involved just to make two kits I've decided to can it. Maybe offer the masters to someone that does want to make kits.

While I waiting until BD (who's the only other owner of the BK kit!) to get the Seaview sorted out mine waits taped together.

Now BD was kind enough awhile back to send me a completed with servos and all electronics 3 inch RCABS-R WTC. It has been homeless for awhile since a large shelf fell on my 1/96 GW.

I was never a big fan of the Disney design Nautilus. I mean I like it and all but when I read more details and saw Sharpe's model and other designs based on the book I fell in love.

My design lies somewhere between Sharpe's and a bit of Disney with the tail. I like the look of the tail. So I thought it might be nice to scratch up a one off. No kit this time.

A trip to the hardware store and the LHS fro styrene and I was off. One big PVC pipe and some Styrene scratched cones and other detail and I would have the beast.

So far I have spent 12 days from concept. This is really fun just building a single model where scale is what you make it and no molds or masters. I have never done it before.

Here's some pictures from the build. I still have to make a few more parts but the boat is ready to rig and install the WTC. I will make a prop today and finish of the other parts.

Then I'll be doing all those rivets but I have a technique I used on the BK build you might find interesting. It's a very fast way to do rivets.

More later,

Steve

U812

Postby U812 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:04 am

I'm ready to do the rivets tomorrow. Then paint and lights Thursday.

Steve

U812

Postby raalst » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:36 am

yeah, but what will you build this afternoon ? :D
you must be a serial builder.

I'm jealous. I'm a good 1,5 years busy and the second mold half is
neeeeaaaarly finished...
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:45 am

Looks great. Love the plating look.

-Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:52 pm

Ronald, now now. I'm not that fats. Just unemployed with lots of time on my hands! But thanks just the same.

Scott thanks a bunch. On to rivets.

Steve
U812

Postby noney » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Me thinks you guys just take this stuff too much for granted. Steve has taken a chunk of plastic pipe, a piece of bone, and a hank of hair, and in just 12 days created this marvelous working model. It has taken me more days to just decipher the instructions on a box of Stabilit-Express glue. Amazing!

Gene
Time is a patient predator.
noney

Postby U812 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:52 pm

Gene. Wow. Thanks.

Well a bit more last night and now I'm off to finish the rivets and do some primer and copper.

Yes the rivets. Aluminum ducting tape from the hardware store, some pattern wheels, and some dotted from the back side with a pen. Rivets. The fast and sort of easy way but this took me three bloody days to do. A lot faster than dripping dots of thick CA.

Steve

U812

Postby U812 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Well it's primered and copper. Waiting outside to de-fume! Stinky girl right now. Seems that some of the thinner Styrene I used reacted to the primer and now has what looks like dents. They are in the bow.

The side your seeing here doesn't have them as bad. But they look like something she might have got from ramming ships. So I going to weather her tomorrow and dress up the dents in the hull plating with a bit of scaring.

At first I thought about getting out the Evercoat but then I thought again. It might just look cool and I could always fix it later if I want.

Steve
U812

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:19 pm

This is one seriously cool build!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:05 am

Jeff thanks but not really. It's a quick built model just for fun. I've barely spent 2 weeks on her and made her from the basics.

I could make it a lot more detailed and in time I may add and add. But I wanted to give BD's WTC something to work in. I went through all my kits and didn't have anything big enough for it. Now I do.

Thanks again Jeff,

Steve
U812

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:13 am

Are you serious? A model designed to be more (mostly?) accurate to the Verne vision of the Nautilus is always an interesting subject!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:49 am

Well Jeff you know me. But yes it is but it's a relatively simple design. Practical for that period. Except for all those damn rivets and I could still use more!

Prop done and installed. Pictures soon.

Steve
U812

Postby U812 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:06 am

Here's some more pictures. Going to move on to the deck railing next. Make a jig and make them out of brass. Can't wait to add the windows and weather this.

Steve

U812

Postby U812 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:06 am

To heck with the jig. I tried a test free hand on the railings and it worked. Only took about 30 minutes to do the first side.

Time to hit the rack. More tomorrow.

Steve
U812

Postby U-33 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:09 am

How the hell do you do it Steve? It's taken me longer to read this posting than it has for you to build the thing!

Awesome mate...absobloodylutely awesome.

Rich

all together now..."we are not worthy"
Secretary/Webmaster: The Association of Model Submariners

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com
U-33

Next

Return to Builder Threads