Banner Ad 1

The Search For Water Continues...

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

The Search For Water Continues...

Postby PaulC » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:37 am

Inspired by all the fun we had in Muskogee, and an email from Wayne, I went back to the web recently in search of some local parks with water. Many of the subdivisions around NW Houston have lakes and ponds but the water is usually bayou black or dyed an opaque green or blue.

Lo and behold, while searching a Harris County Commissioner website I found Bane Park. It's not 15 minutes from my house just off the usual route we take to get to my parents -- who live about 5 minutes down the road from the site. Last May renovation of the lake was completed with new bulkheads and pavilions installed. The following pics are from the website:

Julie and I jumped in the car and headed over in the fading light. Even with the sun below the horizon the bottom could clearly be seen 4 feet down beneath the bulkhead. It is very nice with covered tables near the concrete bulkhead. Couldn't take my own pics due to a recent camera mishap. But all in all it looked to be a neat place to run some boats!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:49 pm

Looks great, Paul! Nice find!

Maybe we should use that for the 2009 Sun-n-Fun!

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby PaulC » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:36 am

Carl,

It's a possibility. We're on the NW side of Houston so people from out of town won't have to travel through the city to get to it.

There are several sites now that have been identified for use. We've just got to get out to them, actually run in the water, and make a decision from there.

The only issue with Bane Park is the neighborhood was a little rougher than we're used to. But I thought the water looked very good. I'd grade the water clarity somewhere between San Gabriel's best and San Marcus.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon5