Banner Ad 1

Help wanted - R-Class (1918)

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Help wanted - R-Class (1918)

Postby JBarche » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:09 am

Hi all,
has someone some more information about this class. the few sketches and photos I found so far look quite interesting.
Thanks
Jens
Yours
Jens
JBarche

Postby Davy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:00 am

Hi Jens,

What would you like to know?
They were a fascinating concept - fastest submarines underwater until the German Type XXI a quarter of a century later.

I built a 1:32 model of R4 in 2001 which was featured in the Association of Model Submariners Journal. I hope to have her sailing at the Norwich and Barrrow in Furness sub days this year.

David
Davy

Postby JBarche » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:24 am

Hi David,
Currently I'm still in the plannig/early drawing stages. the basic hull shape should be quite ok, but I would need more details of the rudder arrangement (as far as I understand twin rudders), conning tower and bow area. Yesterday I saw the photos on subpirates which show no outer doors for the torpedo tubes but the dravings I have show these doors :?: .
If I start building (still some other things in the queue) I wold go for either R9 or 10 (Newcastle is near :wink: )
Thanks
Jens
Yours
Jens
JBarche

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:08 am

I believe original works drawings are available from the National Maritime Museum, although this service is usually more expensive than sourcing plans from other avenues (i.e. John Lambert). Unfortunately, I think the NMM is the only place you'll be lucky.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:20 am

Hi Jens,

Yes twin rudders with a skeg in between. (The narrow tapering stern made difficult access in my model. Eventually done by using a toothed belt to connect the rudders.)

Six torpedo tubes (She was very heavily armed) with doors.

John Lambert did not have drawings so I went to the Maritime Museum archive at Woolwich. Drawings cost me about £50 (then) for copying costs. I would love to be able to share them but copyright is a necessary evil!

Other useful sources are the RN submarine museum at Gosport. (Archive sources and very detailed photos for not too much money.) (BTW I will be at Gosport (with R4) on an AMS weekend at the RNSM 16/17th August)

Also look at a very interesting document BR3043 on this website:
http://submariners.co.uk

BR 3043 has some drawings in it also as well as interesting specs etc.

Also:
http://www.britsub.net

Hope this helps. What type of model/ scale are you thinking about building?

David
Davy

Postby JBarche » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:28 am

Andy, David
thanks for the reply.
At that point the BR3043 together wit a drawing I copied from a book (can't recall the name but it still stis on a bookshelf at my parents' back in Germany) are my main sources for the drawings.
I'm not sure whether to build in 1/30 or 1/50. my drawings are in 1/30 at the moment but I can rescale them easily.
Im also not completely suer if I build a single hull boat like my ShinKai (still under construction :oops: ) or try the approach with a double hull and a sewage pipe as pressure hull. This would probably depend on the scale I build.
I can't make it to Gosport in August, but if you have some photos I would be thankful if you could send them
Yours
Jens
JBarche

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:54 am

1/50th (or perhaps 1/48th) would produce a nice handy sized model to tuck under your arm.

1/30th(1/32nd) results in quite a large boat, like David's. Looks impressive on the water, but a bit of a hulk to lug about.

I think wet hull principles would work well for both.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Current status

Postby JBarche » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi,
here are some renderings of the model I use to make the drawings

still quite basic but you can imagine how the real thing looks like
Yours
Jens
JBarche

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:17 am

Photo courtesy of John Bass and Model Boat Mayhem.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:37 am

Thanks for digging the photo out Andy.

That is 1:32 and she has a PVC sewer pipe WTC. The diameter of the PVC pipe basically determined the scale, I chose.

She is OK to lift etc. but I must say that my Holland in 1:32 fits under my arm better!

BTW memory is clearly failing me because I have been referring to my model as R4 whenshe is actually R7!

David
Davy

Re: Help wanted - R-Class (1918)

Postby JBarche » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi,
I bring the topic up again because I have used the time and drawn a plan for these subs.
I needed the drawings anyway so I decided to make them looking a bit prettier in case someone is interested. My hobby budget is always in need of some top-up :wink: amd most of the work was done already.

So if anyone is interested, contact me.
Jens
Yours
Jens
JBarche

Re: Help wanted - R-Class (1918)

Postby Sub culture » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:57 pm

David doesn't post on this board anymore- he left the Sub Committee last year.

His boat was based on a limited run of castings produced by UK modeller Nigel Edmonds.

The hull was based on the British built Hollands.

Here is a picture of Davids Holland taken at last years Norwich show in August.

and at Merstham Steam Show a couple of years ago.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubCommittee GB