Banner Ad 1

COMET NAUTILUS KITS FROM ENGLAND - HAS ANYONE SEEN THESE?

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Work Man » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:48 am

:) HAS anyone had anything to do with these models. Also who produces the kits? Thanks Tom
Work Man

Postby Lundberg » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:30 pm

Hi,

I have one of the 9 inch kits from Comet Miniatures and it's a small but really nice resin kit even though the parts are slightly fragile. The kit is a "re-mold" of an old unreleased kit from Airfix and it was delivered promptly after order, I had no problems dealing with the UK based Comet Miniatures.

However, recently I've noticed that their website is no longer availiable (www.cometminiatures.com) and the old site is also unavailiable (www.cometminiatures.co.uk) so I wonder if they are still in business. Does anybody know?

There's also another kit availiable, this one is slightly larger and is made from vacumformed plastic with whitemetal accessories like for example a squid-shaped model stand. From the pictures I've seen this kit is not as accurate and detailed as the 9 inch kit.

If I were you I'd go for the 9 inch kit!

/Bjorn
Lundberg

Postby Wbnemo1 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:29 pm

I definitly agree with Bjorn on this one. this is a really nice little piece to add to any collection of Nautilus replicas,while not superbly accurate,it captures the character of the Nautilus better than any other model it's size,with a bonus...since it was remolded from the airfix injection molded kit,it is hollow,making it easy to add lighting...a great little kit..I've ordered from Comet before with no trouble either so by all means go for it herre';s the link that works for anyone that wants it...William :D

http://www.comet-miniatures.com/zone.php?zone=1&
Wbnemo1

Postby Work Man » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:02 pm

Thanks for the info. I have some 1/72 nd scale Nautilus models now, and am waiting for my TI boat. Also hope someone comes up with a nice 1/48 scale version someday. Tom :)
Work Man

Postby Sub culture » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:40 am

Hi

Comet Miniatures is like an Aladdin's cave for Sci-Fi modellers. Being a London resident, I've been to their Lavender Hill based shop a couple of times (which is only small but stocked to the rafters), and they've always got some rarity there.

I'd be very surprised if they've gone out of business, I purchased my ex-Airfix model from them- lovely little piece, unfortunately the cross sectional shape is wrong, but then I'm splitting hairs here.

I also have the vac formed/white metal kit that was produced many moons ago. I wouldn't bother with this personally, you could scratchbuild a better replica, especially with all the information on the web these days.

Cheers

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby cyberlarry7 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:48 pm

REGARDING THE COMET MINIATURES NAUTILUS -- (the rebuild of the Airfix Nautilus) -- this is an extremely accurate model of the Disney Harper Goff submarine. If you wish to buy one - go here: http://www.federationmodels.com/model_k ... efault.htm

They have this model in supply and you can easily order it online. Good luck!

Larry Brooks
cyberlarry7

Postby cyberlarry7 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:59 pm

OOPS!
I forgot to add that MONSTERS IN MOTION has this same COMET MINIATURE NAUTILUS KIT. It's CHEAPER at their site ($59.99) than the other site I previously posted (which is selling it for about $75.00). Here's the NAUTILUS webpage at Monsters In Motion: http://www.monstersinmotion.com/ships/nautilus9.html

Larry Brooks
cyberlarry7

Postby Novagator » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:04 am

cyberlarry7 wrote:OOPS!
I forgot to add that MONSTERS IN MOTION has this same COMET MINIATURE NAUTILUS KIT. It's CHEAPER at their site ($59.99) than the other site I previously posted (which is selling it for about $75.00). Here's the NAUTILUS webpage at Monsters In Motion: http://www.monstersinmotion.com/ships/nautilus9.html

Larry Brooks

I don't recommend that kit at all. The parts don't fit right and the parts are very fragile. Save your money.

now the 1:72 scale from Monsters in motion which is out of production is a very nice resin kit. I highly recommend it.
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines