Banner Ad 1

Type II Paint Schemes on SN IIA

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Warpatroller » Thu May 08, 2008 5:10 pm

Harald,

You must be referring to the "Alberich" coating that is on U1105 (VIIC/41). These were black rubber tiles like you describe covering the entire sides of the hull. U1105 sits at the bottom of the Potomac River just west of Piney Point, Maryland. I grew up in the Mount Vernon area, and went sail boating many times in the Potomac River in the late 70's early 80's. Although at that time the wreck of U1105 had not been rediscovered, as that didn't happen till June of 85. It was sunk there by the US Navy during explosive trials.

I do recall hearing about a Type II being coated with these tiles for testing purposes as well, so perhaps U11 was the boat I heard about.

You can read about U1105 at this link: http://uwex.us/u1105.html

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby hakkikt » Thu May 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Steve,

Fafnir was different from Alberich. It consisted of a skin of rubber forming lots of small prismatic rubber teeth (like the egg cartons used in some studios for sound insulation). These were held to the hull by sheets of plastic in metal frames, which were in turn attached to the hull. The whole construction was very flimsy and only used for extensive testing in 1940. The metal frames are very visible on the hull in the one photo that I have.
Alberich as used in U 1105 and a few others consisted of pieces of rubber skin (without teeth) glued directly onto the hull. There is one detail photograph of the Balkongerät which is is actually of U 1105, and you can see the seams between the pieces of the Alberich skin. Cannot find it in my files, unfortunately. :(

-Harald
Last edited by hakkikt on Mon May 12, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Postby Warpatroller » Mon May 12, 2008 4:30 pm

I had not heard of the Fafnir before. Interesting. I have also seen a photo showing the seams between the Alberich tiles, but I don't think it was of the Balkongerat.
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Static Modeler