Banner Ad 1

special Navy Type IIA : januari 2008

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby JWLaRue » Thu May 08, 2008 6:45 pm

None here...but how about taking the Type XXIII discussion into it's own thread?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby hakkikt » Thu May 08, 2008 6:46 pm

Hijacking the thread back from the (interesting) Typ XXIII discussion:

I am holding the SN Typ IIA kit in my hands now. I noticed that the forward hull pieces have rests of casting channels on the separation line, so that it is not possible to hold the hull halves together without bringing out a good knife or a small saw. There are also casting residues where the deck is supposed to meet the hull - again, no test fitting without cutting.

Talking about the deck: opening the slots in the deck will be cumbersome but doable. The slots are a bit narrower than on the VIIC, so clean work will be more difficult. A metal deck would be worth its money, I hope Eduard will come to the rescue here.

The line where the hull is vertically joined seems like a natural point of separation for RC application, to insert a WTC. The deck is not separated at that line and fine details are in the way of cutting it there, but there are ways around that.
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Postby JWLaRue » Thu May 08, 2008 10:42 pm

I can safely say that a PE deck for this kit will be forthcoming. (No, it's not me) :)

Where the hull is split fore and aft is at an interesting location. I think this will allow SN to use the same four hull sections and then add an insert for them to make a IIB or IIC. A IID could be done the same way with the addition of add-on saddle tanks.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby rabapla » Fri May 09, 2008 3:32 pm

hi,

maybe you'll find some usefull informations in this thread:

http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=24301.0
rabapla

Postby raalst » Sat May 10, 2008 5:02 am

Thanks Rabapla !
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Rabapla,

Many thanks for the link. It's good to see that others have similar observations about this kit.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Sun May 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Danke Rabapla! After seeing all the problems and inaccuracies with the kit, I have decided not to buy it. Will just have to scratch build my own I suppose...
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby hakkikt » Mon May 12, 2008 3:58 am

Does not look at all to me like scratchbuilding is the only way out. They say it in rabapla's link too: nothing that cannot be fixed by boring a few holes and filling a few slots, maybe adding a few things like diesel exhausts or jumper wire blogs. Nothing that we aren't used to doing with kits of that scale anyway.
I am happy that I have it, and I look forward to some accurising, as usual. Hey, if we could not add a few things ourselves it would be boring :)
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Postby Warpatroller » Mon May 12, 2008 4:23 pm

That was a joke guys! :lol:

As far as I am concerned, the inaccuracies in that German thread are trivial. As long as the basic shape of the boat and tower are correct, I have no problem with the model. Filling and drilling a few holes and slots is easier than relocating the anchor well on the Revell VIIC (which I will not be doing on mine).
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Static Modeler