Banner Ad 1

Airfix XXIII 1:72

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Airfix XXIII 1:72

Postby Warpatroller » Fri May 02, 2008 7:37 pm

I found a "box art" image for the upcoming Airfix XXIII kit. It appears it may be released sometime in July.

The artwork is simply a shaded pencil drawing and the hull looks totally incorrect.. It has a type VII looking bow and flood holes all along the upper sides of the hull lol :x You'd think the artist could study a few XXIII photos before producing his drawing... If the model looks anything like this artwork it will be the worst looking XXIII model to date and I'm sure its sales will be dismal.

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby hakkikt » Sat May 03, 2008 11:26 am

Could it be a cooperation with Alanger? They have a XXIII too. If so, we can look forward to it, their recent 1:350 offerings have been very good, the K-19 and the K-3.

edit: which is what you already said in the IIA thread, as I just noticed.
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Re: Airfix XXIII 1:72

Postby sam reichart » Sat May 03, 2008 12:19 pm

Warpatroller wrote:I found a "box art" image for the upcoming Airfix XXIII kit. It appears it may be released sometime in July.

The artwork is simply a shaded pencil drawing and the hull looks totally incorrect.. It has a type VII looking bow and flood holes all along the upper sides of the hull lol :x You'd think the artist could study a few XXIII photos before producing his drawing... If the model looks anything like this artwork it will be the worst looking XXIII model to date and I'm sure its sales will be dismal.

Steve

It actually looks like the front of a Type XXI hull that someone sketched with a XXIII conning tower stuck on the top. Pretty crappy, nonetheless.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Sun May 04, 2008 7:20 pm

The Airfix kit may end up being a re-boxed Alanger kit, that is a possibility. The Alanger box art looks a hell of a lot better though.

And yes Sam, you could say it looks a bit like a XXI, albeit a much shortened and narrowed XXI hull. Speaking of mixed towers and hulls, I recall seeing a photo of a XXI tower installed on a IX hull. This was done for testing purposes of the XXI tower while the XXI boat was under development.

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Sun May 04, 2008 9:00 pm

Warpatroller wrote: Speaking of mixed towers and hulls, I recall seeing a photo of a XXI tower installed on a IX hull. This was done for testing purposes of the XXI tower while the XXI boat was under development.

Steve

yep. I've got that photo (or drawing) somewheres...it may actually be on the Kohl drawings...I can't recall.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler