Banner Ad 1

special Navy Type IIA : januari 2008

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby kazzer » Fri May 02, 2008 12:19 pm

And of course, there are now THREE versions (sorry Jeff). We have the Special Navy Minelayer Conversion Kit too!

Last edited by kazzer on Fri May 02, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kazzer

Postby JWLaRue » Fri May 02, 2008 12:20 pm

Scott,

...nothing appears to work on that web site link you provided?

So, you're going to produce a resin 1/72nd scale Type VII? Given the market saturation that Revell has made with their kits, including a an already robust aftermarket set of suppliers for add-ons.....what do you see as the market for another kit of the same subject?

Seems like other subjects would make better sense?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri May 02, 2008 12:22 pm

kazzer wrote:And of course, there are now THREE versions (sorry Jeff). We have the Special Navy Minelayer Conversion Kit too!

Cool! I knew SN was working on that conversion, but hadn't seen that it was any where near to being available.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

ACCURATE VIIC

Postby snegron » Fri May 02, 2008 1:51 pm

4 actually (the Amati U-47 too). I just ordered the mines from Schatton Modelbau for the D conversion. I really like the D, looks better with the longer hull:)!

I have to say, the Revell kit is a pig. While there are plenty of AM goodies for it, the hull halves are replete with errors, which aren't addressed by any AM accessories (The WEM flood holes help some though).

I (and a colleague) have spent hundreds of hours going over period photo's and drawings, from bow to Stern, and it's pretty amazing how off the Revell kit really is. The saddle tanks are miss-shaped, pressure hull outline in the wrong place, stiffeners miss-located, plus the torpedo door and anchor issues. The kit is more toy like than a serious model. We started out intending to make replacement (accurate) hull halves, and an accurate inner pressure hull, but since have gotten the turm finished, and a start on re-working the deck (drawing only).

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on such a tangent! The website is just a draft, we don't have any products done yet so the site isn't fully up.

snegron

Postby JWLaRue » Fri May 02, 2008 2:08 pm

The Amati kit is long out of production, yes? Or have they re-released it?

I'm not sure that the Revell kit is as far off as you are indicating...... :)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Revell Kits

Postby snegron » Fri May 02, 2008 3:36 pm

I only wish it wasn't that bad. I'm sure you know Dougie, he and I have spent a tremendous amount of time going through hundreds of photos, using photoshop to place guide lines on them to get relative positions. Even managed to find some discrepancies in the Kohl drawings. This is how he and I discovered that the 3 stiffening ribs are mis-placed, the main flood slots (above saddle tanks) are different lengths on port and starboard, and fore and aft saddle tanks lengths and shapes are off. I'd love to chat with you, been following your posts for several years now:)! Drop me a line (scottnegron@comcast.net) if you would. I'll start a new thread on this outside the Type II discussion:).....

Back to the II:)........

Any idea what is out there for Type II plans? I haven't received the Vom original yet, it's shipping from Germany. I'm hoping it has decent drawings like the rest of the series.

Best regards,

Scott
snegron

Postby Warpatroller » Fri May 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Snegron,

Where did you order your Alanger XXIII kit from? When was this model discontinued?? It was first released last June, so has only been around a little less than a year.. I wonder if it will end up being re-boxed as the upcoming Airfix XXIII that is supposed to be released sometime this summer. Or is Airfix doing their own molds?

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Alanger XXIII

Postby snegron » Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 pm

I scored one on Ebay, but I also saw one listed for sale at Pacific Front Hobbies

http://www.pacificfront.com/catalog/pro ... 775a9e072c

I heard it's discontinued so I grabbed one. The SN kit (my copy at least) isn't worth the trouble dealing with the hull halves. I don't have the Alanger kit yet so I can't comment on it, other than the hull sections look to be in much better shape. I'm getting the Planrolle, and will scale them to 1/72 to see how the dimmensions match up.

There are some fair parts in the SN kit, and combined with the Eduard set and some scratch building, there may be hope. I hadn't heard about the 1" longer issue, so I'm now anxious to check both against the Kohl drawings.

Sure looking forward to the II, even if it's an A (actually, it will be cool to have U-1 in the collection:)

Best regards,

Scott
snegron

Postby Warpatroller » Tue May 06, 2008 11:23 pm

Scott,

Did you receive your Alanger XXIII yet? If so, how does it compare to your SN XXIII?

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Special Navy vs. Alanger Typ XXIII

Postby snegron » Wed May 07, 2008 7:06 pm

Hello:)

I haven't received it yet but got a shipping notice. I'll post my thoughts as soon as I get it. I see there are a few on Ebay still (I have no connection w/ sellers).

As I said, the hull halves on my SN are unuseable (they are both warped and twisted). This is due to low quality molds used (copper or zinc as opposed to Steel). From the pics I've seen, this isn't the case on the Alanger kit.

Length has been mentioned as a big ??? According to Planrolle Plan 8 (Vom Original P.81), "lange uber alles" overall length) for XXIII is 32.480m, or, 17.76" in length in 1/72. The SN kit is 18.75" long, or 1" too long according to the plans (if they are indeed accurate). I don't know what the length of the Alanger hull is, but if it's 1" longer than the SN kit, I will still have some surgery to do!!!

Interestingly, Hai/Hecht according to Vom is 36.13m, or in 1/72 scale, 19.75" (which would correspond to the Alanger kit if indeed it's an inch longer)!!!!

Looks like the Eduard set for the SN kit should work fine for both. I'll likely kit bash the two.

There have been some comments as to why there are resin parts in the SN kit that could have been done in styrene. The resin parts are quite a bit sharper than the plastic parts, and I'll likely use some of them (the top rear part of the CT for instance). I also have the Schatton periscope for the XXIII, which is awesome like all Robert's work)! I just ordered his mines and details for the VIID conversion:)

Warmest regards,

Scott
snegron

Postby tsenecal » Thu May 08, 2008 12:09 am

my alanger XXIII is approximately 18.25" long. if you have any more questions, ask...

edit:
make that 19.25" long.
Last edited by tsenecal on Thu May 08, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Thu May 08, 2008 2:25 am

Sorry if we are kind of hijacking this thread but as we are discussing the XXIII, it was the replacement for the II...so it is sort of related.

Scott, That measurement of 17.76" based on the Vom Plan seems to be too short.. The Hai/Hecht had a structure added to the upper front of the bow(which i don't know what that was for), but initially they did not, so I don't know which configuration of the boats the Plan measurements are referring to on that one. Your right about the rear top of the CT on the SN kit, it is a much better looking part than the equivalent on the Alanger.

Tsenecal, I can't believe your Alanger boat is only 18.25" long :?: That would make it 1/2" shorter than the SN, which in ALL photos I have seen looks to be SHORTER than the Alanger.. The Alanger hull looks longer than the SN in every photo I have seen of it and a Spanish guy who built the Alanger claimed his was 19.7" long from tip of bow to tip of the stern (which was probably the rearmost edge of the rudder). Are you sure your measurement is correct, as you did say "approximately"? As that is a discrepancy of 1.45" on the exact same model..

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby tsenecal » Thu May 08, 2008 2:11 pm

Steve,

you are right, my mistake, I used an 18" ruler, and it is 1.25" longer than that. I am measuring the part as it still is attached to the sprue, not including the rudder, and it is not exact.

remedial math would make the final number approximately 19.25", not 18.25...

excuse the brain fart.
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Thu May 08, 2008 4:45 pm

Tsenecal,

Thanks for double checking, as I was sure something was not right with your first measurement. 19.25" sounds more like what it should be, so my Spanish source measurement of 19.7" is probably wrong.

Brain fart excused :lol:

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Type XXIII Length

Postby snegron » Thu May 08, 2008 6:17 pm

Ok, calculator and Vom in hand.....

Page 7 has "Lange Uber Alles" as 34,68m, or in 1/72, or 18.96" However, the drawing (Planrolle 8) on page 81 shows 32,48m or 17.76" (and this is "Lange Uber Alles" as well, including rudder).

Any super delegates out there able to settle this? :lol:
snegron

PreviousNext

Return to Static Modeler