Banner Ad 1

Mylo's 1:25 type VIIc/41 part III

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby Mylo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:45 pm

Ronald,

I have made it so that the stand can be bolted / unbolted to the sub from underneath at the keel. To move it on my work table, I just push it around, pushing on the stand. To move it where ever else, I cradle it in my hands under the hull on either side of the stand. Since the stand is bolted on, it stays on so that I can just set it down. It's not the easiest thing to deal with, but as long as I don't run it into anything, I don't have any trouble moving it. I've had to move it around quite a bit during the course of this build to free up work space. There is lots of strength in the hull.....too much on this boat. It weighs about 25 lbs or so.

Mylo
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby Warpatroller » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:20 pm

Bravo Mylo!

I have watched this build of yours on and off over the past year in amazement. You finished it because you had a strong passion for creating this model. Nobody goes through what you did, unless they really have a strong interest in and passion for what they are doing. You triumphed where most would fail and have given up months ago. And if you didn't really love Uboats, it would never have happened.

You Sir, were thinking BIG and kicked ASS doing it! The dedication and perseverence, have paid off! Awesome work! Your an inspiration to me, so that I can do the same in my personal ventures....and as a result, in the future, be able to obtain one of your upcoming Uboat kits. Oh, and the boat trailer needed to haul it around in ;)

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby Boss subfixer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:29 pm

Mylo,
OUTSTANDING! I think Steve summed it up perfectly, you kept at it when a lot of us (me included) would have stopped.
As for your time line being, shall we say a little off, even the companies that build the real ones have to add time. You sir have something there you can be proud of.
Don
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby Mylo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:49 pm

Gents,

Many thanks,

I AM very proud of this boat. When I go into my shop and see it, it puts a smile on my face now (that wasn't always the case). This project was a REAL test for me, to see if I could figure out the skills and materials required to pull it off, and have the drive to see it through to completion. Don't get me wrong, there were days I wanted to turf the entire thing in the garbage and forget I even thought about building it ......BUT..... I'm very hard on myself when it comes to my own fortitude....not to mention the mountain of money I had into at that point. Getting this prototype built as well as I have, has given me great confidence in my model building abilities and I look very much forward to doing another project sometime. I'm just glad the learning curve of this first scratch build is behind me.

However, I'm not done this one just yet. I have this prototype completed, just the prototype. From here, I plan on building another boat for r/c and in fact engineering all the r/c guts for it, get it sailing for Regatta '08. Once I do that, I expect that I'll implement all my planned improvements and have a model that goes together pretty well, which is going to mean some re tooling and redoing a couple molds. Only then will I put together some kits. If I offer a kit, I want it to be enjoyable to build and a real head turner at the pond.

I think that the entirety of my build thread will give any virgin scratch builder a pretty decent start and knowledge base. I'd love to see some other projects started from some guys that figure they're ready to try this.

I welcome any kind of discussion, questions, or comments any of you might have on this project.

Mylo

P.S. Yes, I do have a strange fettish for U-Boats. .....I'll have to mention that on my next session with my psychiatrist.
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby Mylo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:57 pm

I've completed my r/c prototype model, serial # 002. The boat in this pic is a totally different sub that I have completed all the r/c internals on. There are a few "new and improved" parts on it but basically, it was made from the same molds as my static display prototype. All this boat needs is a WTC and she's good to go. This boat also sports a lightly weathered paint scheme that is difficult to see in the photos.

I'm happy with all the r/c engineering into this thing. It includes such features as:

- 7 bulk heads.
- WTC saddles.
- Trim weights.
- Buoyancy foam
- Fore / Aft trim tanks with trim tank plumbing.
- Torpedo tube ready.
- Prop shaft steady / thrust bearings.
- Bow / Stern dive plane functional.
- Twin Rudder functional.
- Steel skid / mounting plates which double as keel weights.
- Compressed air bottles (2x750ml) with air lines.
- "SNORT" air system ready via observation scope air inlet.
- Retractable attack scope ready.

I look forward to the day I can play with this toy in the water.

......keep buildin'

Mylo

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby Pirate » Tue May 06, 2008 9:39 am

Mylo,
FANTASTIC! This is an incredible model.

Get some good, high resolution photos we can use in The SubCommittee Report.

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mylo » Tue May 06, 2008 4:01 pm

Pete,

Do you have a specific e-mail you'd like pics sent to ?

I'm in the process of moving, so things are a little up in the air, but I can try to get some nice outdoor pics.

....OR....

If you're going to be at Regatta '08 in Carmel, you can take all the pics you want.....with a camera that I'm sure is much fancier than mine.

Mylo

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby Pirate » Tue May 06, 2008 7:06 pm

Mylo,

I meant to go with a write-up from you for an article in the SubCommittee Report. You need to always keep that in mind while building—that your photos are large and clear because you may need them for publishing.

Once you get done, your build would make a nice article.

When you have something to publish, just send to editor@subcommittee.com

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby aferguson » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:23 pm

could someone please post a link as to how i can buy one of these kits? There's just too much reading with 25 pages of posts spread over 3 threads and i can't find any ordering information.

Much appreciated. :)
aferguson

Postby Boss subfixer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:07 am

Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby aferguson » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:44 pm

very sad news...
aferguson

Previous

Return to Builder Threads