Banner Ad 1

Towed Camera Test

The Greater Rochester, NY area, otherwise known as "the Rochester Gang".

Towed Camera Test

Postby Larry Kuntz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:58 am

Here is some video of the towed camera test I did at the Y. Not as stable as I hoped for but a fun test anyways. 8)
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r219 ... Camera.jpg

Last edited by Larry Kuntz on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Larry Kuntz
SubRon8
ImageImage
Larry Kuntz
SubCommittee Member

Postby bcliffe » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:51 pm

Larry,

Neat, thanks for trying this. I have plans to mount my A2K and D&E video system on to a submerged platform mounted to my pusher tug so I can chace my submarines around and get underwater footage.

The only show stopper is time ...

Cheers
BC
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

Postby Larry Kuntz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Ben,
Now that the water is not solid anymore, I'll take it out back and try to make it more stable. If I can find the photo of the platform I'll post it. As soon as I increased the speed up it began to porpoise. The video is edited down to the slow and steady portions. I did learn that there is plenty of lighting inside as these are not low light cameras. That's the fun, trial and error (learning).
Larry Kuntz
SubRon8
ImageImage
Larry Kuntz
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:59 pm

Not bad Larry. :D :D Next time maybe dive so you can video the sub underwater. :D If you get the camera pod ballanced and weighted right it should follow you. That would be cool!! 8)
Here is a video Paul did with his pole camera showing your Akula and the pod being towed. BD.

David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Perhaps the "warp nacelles" need a set of rudders and stern planes added to help stabilize the motion of the camera platform?

Alternatively, you could hang the platform from a float....like in the method used by the USS Alligator. That would eliminate the turbulance from the surface.

Either way....very neat idea!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Wow! Very cool Larry. I think good underwater video is key in recruiting new members. I hope you will keep working on this and get it perfected!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Larry Kuntz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:36 am

That is what I was thinking, possible some dive planes to help with the porpoising. And they could be pre-set so as you move it faster it makes it want to dive. Like I said, the creek out back and a fishing pool are in order.
It just seemed to be a neat idea of a attack type video from the pursuer's perspective. At least it did prove the lighting is good at the "Y" for videos.
Larry Kuntz
SubRon8
ImageImage
Larry Kuntz
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon8