Banner Ad 1

New running area possibility in H-town

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

New running area possibility in H-town

Postby PaulC » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:01 pm

SoCal SC member Frank Gauer sent me a message today about a new park being constructed in downtown Houston across from the George R. Brown Convention Center. It is called Discovery Green and officially opens on April 13th 2008.

There is a 1 acre lake with a model boat basin included in the project. See detail from map below:

Will advise as we approach the people in charge. Their initial plans are to have r/c sailboats for rent on the weekends. I can't wait to get down there and check it out.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:03 am

Oooooooooo, I'm SO envious! Best of luck on the ramp-up, bud!

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Wayne went to the site yesterday and the water features are still under construction. He got this shot of the model basin:

As you can see it is lined with gunite. The steps will be topped with granite. The size of the basin area is 86' x 127' and the water depth will be 2.25'. The structure in the background is The Lake House restaurant.

The basin will join Kinder Lake which is also gunite lined and covers 2/3 of an acre (roughly 28,750 square feet). Max depth at its deepest point will be 8'. Two piers will provide access to it. Between the piers is waterside event space. It is available to rent and measures 70’ x 120’. You can see these details on this updated map:

The location fronts the George R. Brown Convention Center which is on the southeast side of downtown. A parking garage is located underground beneath the park. Astros' Minute Maid Park and Rockets' Toyota Center are within walking distance. There are many hotels (one directly across the street from the park, another is a block away) and restaurants nearby. It really looks like prime real estate for a larger event.

Wayne has already made contact with a park official and she is very interested in working with us.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:58 pm

Wayne sent me some pictures of this site. It looks great for running subs! We'll have to start having some weekend meetings over there later this year. :)

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby PaulC » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:31 pm

Stopped by Discovery Green today and it is nearing completion. Opening day is scheduled for this weekend I believe.

The lake is full of water and is reasonably clear judged from my vantage point a greaat deal away. It's probably only recently been filled and could setle out even further. From where I was I could see bottom features at a 3' depth on the edge of the model boat basin -- pretty good. It's probably a lot better up close (it was overcast as well).

This is the model boat basin. That high-rise building in the background is the Hilton-Americas hotel by the way:

To the left is the first of two bay type areas in the lake. Piers on either side. The model basin is on the right. You can see the edge underwater where the flat bottom drops off into the lake.

This was shot from the back side looking across the length of the lake towards the model boat basin.

As you can see they are still working on the landscaping, etc. I took some rough video which I'll post too.
Last edited by PaulC on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/B1VjjhLuJ1w[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/ABfwBs4knCg[/youtube]
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:13 am

Gee, I guess I know where NEXT year's SnF will be! Break those waters in nicely, boys! Side scan sonar bottom obstruction readouts all around!

Can't wait,
Jeff
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon5