Banner Ad 1

1/32nd OTW Designs S Class build thread

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby dhffr » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:49 pm

Decided on building the HMS Storm in the Mediteranean splinter camo.
I think it will be a nice change from the U boat gray's. The weathering and rust will also "pop" more with the light topside colors. see photo:

Darrin
dhffr

Postby SteveUK » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:10 pm

Ay Caramba! This is phenominal!

Darrin you are making one splendid job of that.

Nice to see one of our 'Plucky Brit' subs making it to kit form. Boy the detail on this is sweet. I gotta ask, because I have been trying to get accurate info on our old subs for a while and it seems like a desert out here, I mean I got some pictures but no where near as comprehensive as this :? ...so how you guys doin it? What are you using for ref, is there a book out there I should know about :?:

"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Pirate » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:05 am

Darin,
That's great work. But I was wondering, do you have your screws on the proper sides? Do you have any photos to referrence this?

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Bob has been collecting info on these boats for years...No idea how he has the stuff...

What screws are you talking about? The rivets on the tower? These are correct.

dhffr

Postby Pirate » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:24 am

I'm talking about the propeller screws.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:42 am

Sorry about that. My mistake. Makes for a good question though. I just put them temporarily for now. Any info would be appreciated.

Looking from the rear of the boat, should the starboard screw turn clockwise or counter-clockwise?

DH
dhffr

Postby Sub culture » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:14 pm

It's generally considered more efficient for twin props to rotate away from one another. So in your example the starboard prop should rotate clockwise for forward propulsion.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks Andy. I swapped them.

Pressure box will be layed up tonight. All linkages are finalized. Needed a bellcrank setup on the rear planes to avoid the flex cable thing. Its very smooth and a direct shot to the output arms. Also threw in a shot of the completed stern section. The string will be replaced with some brass cable. Think it adds to the look back there. Finally, a full shot of the progress. I needed 12 foot piece of carpet to hide the background!

Darrin

dhffr

Postby Skip Asay » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:09 pm

I recall speaking with Simon from 32P many years ago. He had just finished the 26 foot fleet boat for the mini series War and Remembrance. During the construction/testing phase, they had just stuck the props on without really paying attention to which way they turned. As it turned out, they were backwards .....starboard prop turned counter clockwise, port prop turned clockwise (looking forward from aft). When they were all done, somebody noticed the props were backward and switched them to the opposite sides and, when doing its final test before shipping it out, they noticed that the boat turned better.

Just an FYI.

Skip Asay
Skip Asay

Postby dhffr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:52 am

A few more photos of the details. Exhaust parts are installed, Cast up the ammo boxes and steering binnacle and also added the photoetched access panels located on the saddle tank areas. 10 on top and 10 on the bottom. Flag and soldered railing are also new.

Darrin

dhffr

Postby dhffr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:07 am

Pictures of the railing construction:

dhffr

Postby dhffr » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:00 am

Fully primered and assembled for photos.
dhffr

Postby dhffr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:38 pm

Pressure box is moving forward. This may be an old school approach but has worked best in the larger subs I build. Plex lid is just siliconed on. Access is through a 3.0" endcap that will be mounted to the top of the plex lid. Easy to ventilate the electronics area and if more work is needed, I just cut the silicone bead. (I have never had to do this).
Battery layout is still being researched.

All pushrod exits are done with rotary motion rather than linear. I also put an additional bushing on the pivot shaft to reduce strain on the bulkhead seals.
(mikes subworks)
More on the servo mounting next week.

Casement details are coming along. Referring to the original build plans, I added several tubes under the casement.

dhffr

Postby dhffr » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:12 pm

More progress:

Built up the deck gun railings and soldered the safety chain to it. Also threw in a photo of the tower with the correct interior colors. I am moving away from the Storm camo and going for a more traditional British scheme.

Dh

dhffr

Postby pier 72 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:56 am

This is absolutely amazing work. I congratulate you.
I'll be following this very, very closely as I'm going to start on my T-Class hull (the old Darnell hull) in the next couple of months.

What type of ballast system are you planning on using?

I'm hoping I'll have room for a couple (or one) of 750ml Engel piston tanks.

Dave
All the very best
www.pier72.com
SubCommittee member
pier 72

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads