Banner Ad 1

1:72 Nautilus on Ebay - Get a load of the price!

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:30 pm

For any interested parties with deep pockets:

Looks like Lee w/ Total Immersion has a good thing going on Ebay. He's selling a completed model of the Nautilus and the high bid is nearly at $800 so far, with another 5 days to go.

I'm glad I got my kit before he stopped selling them (if he has... I'm not sure).

The model is a veritable work of art. I actually really like the rust finish on it. I think I'll play with the idea for my 1:32 (maybe tone it down a bit).

This falls back to the difference between Lee's model and the Sci Fi kit that I had. I really like the raised panels, random rivets, and the rework on the upper deck. I think it has a lot of character.

Congrats, Lee! I'll bet we see more of these on ebay in the future...

Check out the auction here
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:51 pm

Interesting. A very popular size, too.

I noticed the rear window in the wheelhouse was missing; broke out, I figured. But I was wrong. The seller explained it this way:

"The rear window is left open for the wheelhouse interior to breathe."

:cool:
Captain Nemo

Postby Wbnemo1 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:31 pm

Hmm.............it's not a bad job of rusting,but a bit heavy...looks like Kuras Corp product to me ie...Rustall.....neat little skiff,tie lines have got to go lol.............way too fake....and it's really too bad Lee never gave credit to the original builder of the boat and had ample oppurtunity to do so...through a lot of talks,I learned this falls back to good ole Chris L. again...Apparently he recast Scott's original Licensed Icons Nautilus boat,then sold a casting of it to Lee...who then took this recast and reworked the details to his "liking"and took all the credit for building it from scratch..heck,even told Scott he'd give him the credit after Scott confronted him, never did..doesn't make too much sense since Lee does appear to have the talent to make his own...jus took the easy way out I guess..sad really....... please don't compare these boats,as Scott is a true friend and Nautilus affecianado and doesnt deserve that.......Those that have a T.I boat truely owe your thanks to Scott B for giving T.I. a Nautilus the availablity to recast and redetail and sell as his "own" Nautilus replica
Will

Edited By Wbnemo1 on 1066775550
Wbnemo1

Postby Captain Nemo » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:31 pm

Speaking of Lee, anybody know what's up with him?

Lately when I've gone to the TOTALIMMERSION website, they are offline; no response to my emails, etc.

Is this another one for Robert Stack?

Pat
Captain Nemo

Postby Captain Nemo » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:01 pm

About the TI Website...

A couple of weeks ago I checked it out and at that time I believe I saw a couple interior framework shots of a NAUTILUS in progress; as I recall the caption described this as the present TI NAUTILUS under construction. Showed pics of the rivets being applied, too...

There was also a pic of an R/C version sitting on a boat dock; but it seemed to me that was a picture of Bjorn Lundberg's RAY MASON model. And I seem to recall a picture of the sub underwater, but I think it was done with a computer. I could be wrong; and that's part of the reason I'd like to check the site again, but it's down.

When I search DISNEY NAUTILUS in GOOGLE, I get the description for the TOTALIMMERSION site; and it speaks of crew figurines for the model. Now I'm really getting lost. I thought Jim Key and Scott Brodeen were making those. Am I wrong here? Is Lee making a different variety?

I'd like to get this straightened out, because I do have a section on my website dedicated to NAUTILUS MODELS and the people who build them, and I want to make sure my information is correct. (As it stands right now, I believe everything I've posted so far about you guys is right.)

Has the TOTALIMMERSION website gone for good? Temporarily down? Gone somewhere else?

Pat
http://www.vulcaniasubmarine.com
Captain Nemo

Postby Lundberg » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:05 am

Pat,

you are correct, I also noticed a while ago that there was a picture of my "Ray Mason Nautilus" diving on the TI website, I guess it was copied via the web and published.

http://w1.920.telia.com/~u92024188/Images/nautilus6.jpg

I'm also currently unable to access the TI web, maybe it's "gone" which I find sad because I thought it was quite cool...

/Bjorn

PS. Here are a couple of links with more pictures on my personal web...

http://w1.920.telia.com/~u92024188/Disneyeng.htm
http://w1.920.telia.com/~u92024188/U47eng.htm
Lundberg

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:46 am

The "crewmen" that came with my kit were just stock sailors. I don't know if Lee was planning on making authentic crewmen or not.

From what I've heard from other's who've ordered his kits, Lee is no longer going to offer his kits for sale. I'm pretty sure that his new plan is to do exactly what he's now doing... build up the kits and sell them on ebay. Not surprising if he can get $800 a piece for them.

Pretty sure that people will catch on after the fourth or fifth "one-of-a-kind" model shows up there, though.

In regards to the pics of the completed models on his old site... I'm sure that he did mention that the pictures depicted completed Nautilus models, but that they weren't necessarily HIS models.

He did have pics of his master being either built or reworked (subtle difference, eh Will?). The pics were neat. I wish I would have saved a copy before he went offline. Maybe I'll check my cache'd pages.

I know that Lee was having BIG TIME problems supplying kits in a timely fashion. Mine took many months to arrive (not a big deal except it was promised in less than one), and I know of others who's kits took over six months to arrive with the same promise. To his credit, I could almost always get a hold of either him or his wife to get the latest update.

I like the TI rework (appreciation to Scott Brodeen for supplying the master). All it needs is the keel on the skiff and the hatch latch... right, Will?
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wbnemo1 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:31 pm

Fred must "keel" over !!! lmao thanks Bob...much better
Will
Wbnemo1

Postby Sub culture » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:56 pm

I know that Lee was having BIG TIME problems supplying kits in a timely fashion. Mine took many months to arrive (not a big deal except it was promised in less than one), and I know of others who's kits took over six months to arrive with the same promise. To his credit, I could almost always get a hold of either him or his wife to get the latest update.
[I]

Some of us have been waiting over five years for their Nautilus casts!!

Not from Lee I might hasten to add.

???

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby tliebeler » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:24 pm

Sub culture wrote:I know that Lee was having BIG TIME problems supplying kits in a timely fashion. Mine took many months to arrive (not a big deal except it was promised in less than one), and I know of others who's kits took over six months to arrive with the same promise. To his credit, I could almost always get a hold of either him or his wife to get the latest update.
[I]

Some of us have been waiting over five years for their Nautilus casts!!

Not from Lee I might hasten to add.

???

Andy

I was just reading the post by Andy and I was wondering if the crook that has withheld his cast owed to him for over 5 years is the guy known amongst us as the Nautilus Nazi?

=============================================
tliebeler

Postby Lee » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:40 pm

The auction closed at $2025!!!

Just a clarification, I am not doing the auction, the models was sold as a finished model to a client and is unique in that No two I build are ever the same.

Lee
:p
Lee

Postby Sub culture » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:51 pm

Somebody has more money than sense!!

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Lee » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:08 pm

Captain Nemo wrote:About the TI Website...

A couple of weeks ago I checked it out and at that time I believe I saw a couple interior framework shots of a NAUTILUS in progress; as I recall the caption described this as the present TI NAUTILUS under construction. Showed pics of the rivets being applied, too...

There was also a pic of an R/C version sitting on a boat dock; but it seemed to me that was a picture of Bjorn Lundberg's RAY MASON model. And I seem to recall a picture of the sub underwater, but I think it was done with a computer. I could be wrong; and that's part of the reason I'd like to check the site again, but it's down.

When I search DISNEY NAUTILUS in GOOGLE, I get the description for the TOTALIMMERSION site; and it speaks of crew figurines for the model. Now I'm really getting lost. I thought Jim Key and Scott Brodeen were making those. Am I wrong here? Is Lee making a different variety?

I'd like to get this straightened out, because I do have a section on my website dedicated to NAUTILUS MODELS and the people who build them, and I want to make sure my information is correct. (As it stands right now, I believe everything I've posted so far about you guys is right.)

Has the TOTALIMMERSION website gone for good? Temporarily down? Gone somewhere else?

Pat
http://www.vulcaniasubmarine.com

Hi Pat:

No Totalimmersion is not gone for ever......

Old puter went south and site provider had problems too......

More clarification: yep I will e-mail you ASAP, and yes I am discontinuing the kist around December 03. The new Disney licenser will crush any and all unlicensed Nautilus kit manufactures around mach 0f 04'

As to the question of my original Nautilus, I did use one of Scotts kits as a reference to do my own, and did use many of his assembly ideas as well as some surplus castings in my early attempts. My base model started with an acrylic model Tom and I started many years ago that was the same scale. All the photos of the construction are just as you see them. As noted on my site there are ober 520 seporate hull plates and 24K actual rivers holding them in place. I have never spoken to Scott that I recall and made no promises. My version and his are light years apart.

The various protos of RC nautilus models are correctly identified as examples of working models, several of mine have been converted to working models. What is displayed arephotos sent by clients.

As to delays: This whole project is casual at best, some get done in a few weeks others take quite some time, but at least I deliver as promised, I take care of any kit problems and help builders when asked. Looks to me like some folks who have waited years will never get their Nautilus models given the impending Disney clampdown. Never doubt the license enforcement is comming and soon.

regards

Lee
:;):
Lee

Postby modelnut » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:05 pm

Are the T.I. blueprints still available?

I have been planning to get a set but keep putting it off due to that nagging interface with reality called "paying-the-bills". :p

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines