Banner Ad 1

Seaquest DSV

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Wild Oscar » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:24 am

Does anyone have photos of it? I have a half accurized kit. This is cos the photos i have leave a small amount to be desired. (THEY ARE CRAP.)
And along with my about to start Permit conversion i would love to crack into this kit again.
Wild Oscar

Postby SteveUK » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:16 am

Hi Oscar, sorry I've never seen any clear pics of the Seaquest! Even in the TV show it was normally very dimly lit. (One of the eventual turn-offs for me).
I have seen plastic model kits of the Seaquest. How accurate they are - who could say for sure? but they look right to me. Usually thes kits have line drawings at the back for painting guides and decal application.
If not I'd make my own drawings taken from the model and then enlarge them up. You might find you are the first to have a set of workable plans for the Seaquest. Then people might come nocking on your door for a copy. :wink:
Hope you don't give up on the project. It will be a most unusual model to own.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby wolfsong » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:28 am

there was a post long time ago on the sub-pirate page about a fellow, who built a large sea-quest model.. about 8ft or so...
do a search over there..
good luck

stefan
Submariner, qualified in 1990 ,U21 Class 206

Life is Simple.. either you are qualified or you are not ! .. silent service
wolfsong

Postby Boss subfixer » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:53 pm

You could also do a search here. Check out the thread on page 4 of this section. I'm not sure what happened but the pictures don't show. I have copies of the pictures of the boat and it's impressive to say the least. I'll post a couple if you want to see it. As for the size It's very heavilyy towards the "or so".
Don
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby petn7 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:53 pm

A little late...

The SeaQuest DVDs are great for extra pictures. The season 2 DVD just came out, and while I've only seen the first few episodes, it has a bunch of great shots of the seaQuest, as well as a few surfaced shots, which is helpful for figuring out its true color scheme.
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:11 pm

Looks more like a 10 footer to me. That would be an awe-inspiring sub to have at the pond!

Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:38 pm

The model pictured above was built by Andy Cox. He was a professional pattern maker/model builder, and I think it shows in the quality of his work.

He used the Monogram model as a reference. At the time this was the best reference on offer, as Amblin were in no mood to cooperate. I believe the correct shape should be a little more 'rakish' especially in the area of the bow.

All the same, this model is instantly recognisable, and a solid piece of work.

The model was built back in the early nineties, and then got mothballed for many years whilst Andy concentrated on career changes, moving house, raising a family etc.

I believe he is back working on the project, so maybe we'll see the leviathan working soon.

Andy did once intend to kit this hull, but the cost was high, and you'd have to be a very serious enthusiast to want to own one. I believe a figure of £2000 ($4000) was lofted about, and that was some years back.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Andy,

$4K is reasonable, at least in my estimation. The CR Nautilus is $1500, and way less than half the size of that beast! Depending on where I was in life when the kit went into production, I'd seriously consider it!

Of course, then you'd need a trailer to haul that beastie to the pond, and probably another $2K in electronics, pumps, radio gear, etc to operate it....

Hmm... on second thought I shudder to think what my wife would do to me if I brought that thing home...
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

SeaQuest Drawings /models

Postby MrPete » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:49 am

FYI I have a few reference pictures and a cad model anyone is welcome to have a try at

Take a look here for what I have and what I've tried so far to make this model

http://seaquestmodel.blogspot.com/

Scroll down past all the text to see the pics
MrPete

Postby Sub culture » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:17 am

I read your blog with some interest.

Be warned, building a CNC machine is no simple option for making your boat.

I've been building a small CNC mill for about 6 months now. The learning curve is akin to being pushed over a cliff!

Personally for such a project, I'd build by hand.

Looking at the Seaquest, it really is a model that needs to be treated as three or four hull sub sections, and that is the way I would build it.

I would also consider using very traditional boatbuilding methods to create the main sections i.e. use wood and either bread and butter laminations or plank-on-frame.

You can use a premade spehere for the centre section.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines