Banner Ad 1

SubRegatta 2008 Dates Announced

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

SubRegatta 2008 Dates Announced

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi guys -

I am pleased to announce that we have set the date and location for SubRegatta 2008. This is just a quick note so you can get your vacation dates set on your calendars.

SubRegatta 2008 will be August 2-3, 2008 in Carmel Indiana. Our base hotel will be the same one (Hilton - Garden Inn) we were at in 2006 & 2007.

----------------------------------------------
Official SubRegatta Hotel
The Hilton Garden Inn – Carmel, Indiana (317) 581-9400 / toll free 877-782-9444
13090 N. Pennsylvania Street, Carmel, Indiana, United States 46032 www.indianapoliscarmel.gardeninn.com

Guests with the SubCommittee can make reservations by calling 1-877-782-9444 or going online www.indianapoliscarmel.gardeninn.com and using the group/conv code SUBC08.

The Friday Night Meet & Greet will be at the Chipotle Grill and and the Saturday Night SubSeminar will be at the hotel.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SubRegatta running venue – Carmel City Reflecting Pond ~ Veteran’s Memorial Park
802 3rd Ave SW ~ Carmel, Indiana 46032
----------------------------------------------------
Name badges are required to run boats and check transmitters in and out of the radio impound.

So we have time to prepare your souvenir name badge in advance of the event, please send an email with your name, city, state/country plus your SubRon affiliation (if any) and contact information to: SubRegatta2008@yahoo.com no later than July 18, 2008 or “snail mail” to: John Schagane, 1708 Twain Ridge Drive, Lexington, KY 40514-1841

For tourism information about the Carmel / Indianapolis area, email: admiralscommander@hotmail.com

Best regards,
Tim

Click on this and get a bigger version of the poster to print out and place in your local hobby shop!

Last edited by TMSmalley on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Reduced Room Rates for SubRegatta 08

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks to Chris Campbell's bargaining skills, The Hilton Garden Inn has given us a t reduction in toom rates for SubRegatta 2008. The price is $89 per night. be sure to tell them you are with the SubCommittee SubRegatta group when you make reservations!
Last edited by TMSmalley on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Friday Night (aug 1, 2008) Meet and Greet

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:44 pm

Friday Night Meet and Greet -

Chris Campbell has once again pulled some strings and got us free food at the nearby restaurant - The Chipotle Mexican Grill (Chip-oat-lay). Everyone will need to buy their own drinks, sodas, etc (beer and other alcoholic bevs are available) but burritos are free with the coupon we will hand out to SubRegatta attendees (and guests) at the door as you arrive. These aren't the little wimpy buritos you get at Taco Bell, these things are HUGE - a total meal! BRING THE KIDS.

We had our Friday event there last year and it was fantastic!

Thanks Chris!

~~~ FRIDAY NIGHT MEET AND GREET LOCATION ~~~

Chipotle Mexican Grill - Carmel
1422 Keystone Way
Carmel, IN 46032
317-587-0374 (phone)

Yes - I know its a fuzzy rendering of the map, but it is just to show you how close to the hotel it is (about 3 miles). You can Mapquest your own map and print it out, or we can give you instructions at the hotel. If you are staying at another hotel, email me (president@subcommittee.com) and I will send you the instructions!

For Mapquesting purposes, the Hilton Garden Inn's address is 13090 N. Pennsylvania Street, Carmel, Indiana, United States 46032

Sub guru Jim Butt brings some show and tell to the Friday event!

The boys look at some nice boats at the Friday night meet and greet.

Chris and Julie Campbell pass out free food coupons to Larry Kuntz and George (Crazy Ivan) Protchenko at the 2007 SubRegatta Friday Night Meet and Greet.

++++++++++++++++++++
VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Send us your information!!!

Name badges are required to run boats and check transmitters in and out of the radio impound.

So we have time to prepare your souvenir name badge in advance of the event, please send an email with your name, city, state/country plus your SubRon affiliation (if any) and contact information to: SubRegatta2008@yahoo.com no later than July 18, 2008 or “snail mail” to:
John Schagane, 1708 Twain Ridge Drive, Lexington, KY 40514-1841
For tourism information about the Carmel / Indianapolis area, email: admiralscommander@hotmail.com
Last edited by TMSmalley on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:55 am

Thanks for everything, Tim, Chris and John! Much looking forward to joining you guys there this year.

A word to the wise on the special room rate at the Hilton Garden. I called the toll-free number to reserve today, and it turned out to be (duh) the chain's national booking desk: they had NO CLUE about the SubCommittee special rate in Carmel. I reserved anyway, but then called the hotel's own local number to confirm. The person taking reservations there didn't know of it either . . . but, remembering Mush Morton's advice to O'Kane about "tenacity," I persevered, and eventually the phone person found someone who DID know about it. In other words, be persistent folks!

Green board,
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:51 pm

Thanks for the head's up Jeff - this should be all strightened out now -

This from Ms Williams at the Hilton -

Guests with the Subcommittee can make reservations by calling 1-877-782-9444 or going online to our website

www.indianapoliscarmel.gardeninn.com and using the group/conv code SUBC08. (note - the 08 is zero eight)

If anyone has problems please let me know, I am happy to assist! Thanks and have a great day!

Cheresa Williams-Director of Sales-INDCA

Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis/Carmel
13090 Pennsylvania Street
Carmel, IN 46032

317-581-9400

317-581-9411-fax

Cheresa.williams@hilton.com
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:22 pm

Click this one for a full size poster to print out and put in your local hobby shop!

The International SubRegatta ~ 2008
Sat and Sun, August 2-3, 2008 Carmel Reflecting Pond

~ Official SubRegatta Hotel ~
The Hilton Garden Inn – Carmel, Indiana toll free (877) 782-9444
www.indianapoliscarmel.gardeninn.com - use the group/conv code SUBC08.
(Note - the 08 is zero eight – as in 2008) for the special $89 per night room rate.

Register by July 2 for this special rate. Normal room costs are $120 each night so book early!

~ SubRegatta running venue, Aug 2-3 ~
The crystal-clear Carmel City Reflecting Pond
802 – 3rd Ave. SW – Carmel, Indiana 46032. Bring your camera!
Use Mapquest.com for directions.

~ PLEASE READ ~

Name badges are required to run boats and check
transmitters in and out of the radio impound.

So we have time to prepare your souvenir name badge in advance of the event, please send an email with your name, city, state/province/country, plus your SubRon affiliation (if any) and your email contact information to: SubRegatta2008@yahoo.com no later than July 15, 2008 or “snail mail” to: John Schagane 1708 Twin Ridge Drive, Lexington, KY 40514-1814.

For tourism information, campgrounds, Indy 500 Speedway tour info, other hotels etc. in the Indianapolis / Carmel area, please email admiralscommander@hotmail.com

Big Top tent, tables and chairs are provided at the pond but feel free to bring your own EZ-up pop-up tent, folding table and canvas chairs if you need a lot of room to spread out or would like to sit pondside. Pondside seating is new for 2008 and is first come, first served. You must have an EZ Up Tent for pondside.

This is the Midwest in the summertime. It can be hot, cold, sunny,
cloudy, rainy, clear, windy or calm. Be prepared!

Friday Night (Aug 1) Pre-SubRegatta Meet & Greet sponsored by the SubCommittee

Free to SubRegatta attendees and their guests.

Chipotle Mexican Grill 6 PM - Carmel Indiana – Mapquest 1422 Keystone Way Carmel, IN 46032

Buy your own drinks, (beer and other alcoholic beverages are available) but the burritos are free with the coupons Chris and Julie Campbell of the Indy Admirals will hand out to SubRegatta attendees (and guests) at the door as you arrive. These aren't the little wimpy burritos you get at Taco Bell, these babies are HUGE - a total meal. You won’t leave hungry. Bring the kids!!!

And if you like, bring a sub for show and tell or to get advice from the pros!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday Night (Aug 2) SubSeminar 7 ~ 9 PM
Hilton Garden Inn Conference Center. Come hear the experts talk about how they build and operate radio controlled subs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too see photos and more information about the SubRegatta,
go to the SubCommittee message forum at
http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/ ... hp5?t=7072
or email President@SubCommittee.com
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

SubRegatta Speakers Needed!

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:09 pm

If we are going to have a Saturday Night SubSeminar I need your help!

If you can talk about an RC sub topic for 40 minutes - let me know. We have been fortunate to have some of the biggies in RC subs in the past. Asay, Dory, Galinson, Piekarski, McLeod, Merriman and more. Let's do it again. I'll bring my DVD capable laptop and my LCD projector and screen if you have a Powerpoint or other photos to show.

If you have any ideas for a topic or a speaker - post it here or shoot me an email at president@subcommittee.com !!!

Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

First Speaker Signed Up!

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:49 am

We are indeed fortunate to have on our Saturday Night SubSeminar schedule:

Myles Hall (known on this board as "Mylo"). He will be talking about his HUGE 1/25 Type VIIc/41 RC sub project and a little bit about how he stays motivated to keep moving forward on this massive undertaking.

You can follow his progress at -

http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/ ... hp5?t=6556

Thanks for stepping up Mylo!

Ok, who's next? :D
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mylo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Tim,

Glad to get the ball rolling, I look forward to it and will be bringing my VIIc/41 prototype display with me for a question/answer period afterward. Hopefully, somebody will take home something of value from it.

My only concern is if the authorities at the Canadian/U.S. border aren't going to be suspicious of my "Bomb looking thing" that I'll be packing along. Could be interesting trying to explain it. .....does the Sub Committee coffers have the funds to post my bail in the event things go South ?

Myles "Mylo" Hall
Saskatchewan Canada.
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:46 pm

No, but we have enough to send you a cake with a file baked into it
if things go bad at "Checkpoint Mylo". :lol:

Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mylo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:18 pm

:lol:
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:18 pm

I think you're going to need a bigger room for the seminar. :lol:

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:22 pm

When I brought a WTC with an RCABS demo set up, complete with a 6V gel cell battery, in my carry-on bag, for a flight to Carmel, the female inspector was perplexed and I heard her whisper to another inspector, "Is it a bomb?" She finally called her superior to come over. He looked at it and after about 5 or 10 minutes he came up to me and brilliantly asked me, "What do we have here?" After my detailed explanation, he let me through and I had no more problems.
When I travelled with subs, I called the airline ahead to tell them what I was bringing, to avoid delays. No problems then, and I seemed to get VIP treatment.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:39 pm

My experiences have been the same.

Tell TSA screeners or customs agents exactly what it is before they even look at it. The folks I have talked to just say, "Cool", does it really go under water?
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mylo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:38 pm

I'll be going by ground, otherwise known as....driving. Is there a place close by the "pond" for RV hook up ??.....do they mind if I "camp out" in the parking lot ?

Mylo

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Next

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas