Banner Ad 1

New Sub-Running Venue Coming to So. Cal.!

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby TMSmalley » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:59 pm

Jeff - any chance you could do something with a local pool?

California has a huge number of SC members. It's a crying shame there is no place for them to run an event. We should have an International SubRegatta there someday.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi Tim (and any So. Cal. types reading along),

It's really too bad "Splash!" waterpark didn't work out; at practically a stone's throw from my house, those pools couldn't possibly have BEEN more local! :D

Still, I know you're right and will attempt another pool search when time permits. I've already tried the two local colleges and been turned down, but that was some years ago so they merit a second look. I've never contacted the local high school pool though -- that might be worthwhile. Of course, I encourage all So. Cal. SC members to search likewise in their own areas and post their results here.

I do have to say, though, that as fun as I know a pool can be (thank you, Texas A&M!), I'd personally still prefer a really good "natural" outdoor venue. So far I haven't run across one around here. Local duck ponds are just too murky for submerged operations. Lee Upshaw, Dave Manley and others like to run in a pond in Huntington Park plus a lake (Santee) outside San Diego. I've tried both: fine, even great, for their surface skimmers, not so good for underwater devotees. Of course, water conditions do change seasonally, and I've only been to each one time. Things may have improved.

Recently I got a call from Frank Gauer to join him, Mike Dory and Will Oudmayer for a run in a lake in Yorba Linda. I look forward to trying that venue; I've no idea how good it is, but am cautiously optimistic. Of course, Mike and Will both run precision boats which steadfastly follow their skippers' orders. Mine more frequently has a mind of her own; I need clear water for safe patrols I can come back from. That's why I haven't returned to the park fountain pond in Cerritos they also sometimes run in. One attempt there was enough to convince me the risk was too high for my sportin' blood.

Finally, there's always Steve Neill and his northern L.A. cronies. He runs regularly in Hansen Dam up that way somewhere. It actually sports sanctioned recreational and R/C areas, and the water looks and sounds great by all accounts. Here's a link:

http://www.laparks.org/dos/aquatic/hansen.htm#

And here's a link to an R/C boating forum featuring shots of the specific area where Steve & crew run there:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 19&page=18

Haven't personally tried a run there yet either, but definitely plan to. Perhaps something with widespread So. Cal. participation could be organized thereabouts -- and semi-regularly if at all successful. Steve, care to weigh in?

Green board,
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Paul » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:59 pm

Sorry to hear its a no go, but please add me back on the list
Paul Lowe
pm9989@msn.com
Paul

Postby Tommydeen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:52 am

sorry to hear it was a bust...welcome to the world of dealing with city buracrats.. In this hobby I have come to a place that finding a "decent" place to run our boats is like finding a place to go shooting.. you have to take your activity out of town, far enough to were people wont see you or care about what your doing. they can be found its just a matter of the drive. sure there is places to run in city parks ect but it turns into a real pain when special permits or fees are reguired in a park that is already
paid for in taxes. out here in Denver you can have a fishing tag and plop
a line in the water and nobody will say a word, you put your boat in the water and give it a hour and the police will arrive and ask you to remove your boat from the water.
Tom
Tommydeen
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas