Banner Ad 1

Oklahoma event

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Oklahoma event

Postby PaulC » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:38 pm

Guys,

Don Baker has been talking with the USS Batfish Museum in response to their request to have some of our people attend an awareness raising event for the boat. They would like as many r/c subbers as possible to demonstrate the hobby and help draw people to the Batfish. They plan food, possibly r/c aircraft demos, a swing band, etc.

Here are the details:

Location - War Memorial Park, Muskogee, OK

Date - July 4-5, 2008

Running area - Investigation is being made into setting up an above ground pool for the event in the park. The alternative would be a manmade pond at a park a short distance away.

Batfish website - http://www.ussbatfish.com/batfish-main.html

What Don needs to know is who is interested in participating. The date was picked to coordinate with other activities, the holiday, etc. My understanding is they may change it if no one is available that weekend. While there are plenty of suitable places to stay in town, the Batfish has offered to allow us to use the boat overnight as our quarters (don't think my wife will be up for it but I'm kinda intrigued).

Please give us feedback regarding your interest, preferences and availability. Thanks!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:11 am

Sounds kinda neat Paul,

I would be interested in attending. The problem for me of course is the drive. In a perfect world the SunNFun could be scheduled either the weekend before or after so I could attend TWO events per one drive.
But that is beyond wishful thinking...

The SunNFun (whenever that is) still has priority.

TomK
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:23 pm

Sounds great. Willing to help. I will know better after I check on summer
vacation plans. Could be about 45 minutes away if we visit Lake Eufaula.

-Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:06 am

Hi Paul,

Ditto Tom's thoughts -- with the added notion of perhaps considering making the event INTO this year's SnF, provided decent R/C running water will definitely be on hand (since the Georgetown River is being transformed into blood this year).

Jeff
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:40 am

hi guys,

those are great news.. the batfish is only 2 1/2 hrs away from my new home in kansas.. unfortunately my move is in mid march, which don't allow me a lot of more bulding time , but im definately interested in coming down there.(with 6 boats).
and making it into the years big event would be great..

merry christmas
stefan
Submariner, qualified in 1990 ,U21 Class 206

Life is Simple.. either you are qualified or you are not ! .. silent service
wolfsong

Postby wolfsong » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:57 am

hi guys,

just wonder ,if there have been any more talks about the oklahoma event at the batfish ?

would be great, if we can pull this off.

stefan

wolfsong

Postby PaulC » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:26 am

Guys,

Just wanted to keep you informed on this event. So far the response has been positive regarding the date and especially the possibility of bunking aboard the boat. The real question is what kind of water will be available.

I spoke with Don last night and he is going to get with the Batfish crew and see what can be determined. The best scenario for them is to have us in the park running near Batfish. That would involve creating a running area for us -- possibly an above ground pool of some sort or temporary pond ala the AMA Grand Event 2005 in Waco (see the pics on the SubRon5 website).

Don says there is a man made pond in a city park within 10 minute drive of Batfish. I'm also told there are some very nice ponds in Tulsa which is 30 minutes away. Splitting our time between the available venues might make sense.

At any rate we will know more when Don has a chance to get with the Batfish people and report in. Should be next week sometime.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:14 am

i took a look at the pictures of the 05 AMA event, and i belive, that a pond like that would be a good idea (its large enough to float my typhoon)

usually temporary pools are not big enough to run our boats and would cost a lot of money to set up..
a temporay pond like that should be fairly easy to set up and with a little help maybe from the local fire-department, we can get eough water to fill it.

since the main event idea is, to draw more attention to the batfish memorial, i do not think , that it would be a good idea, to split it up and have us running our boats at a different location.

regards
stefan

wolfsong

Postby PaulC » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:46 pm

Stefan,

I agree, the larger temp pool would be much better suited to running. Hopefully something will materialize along those lines.

My thought wasn't to run simultaneously at different venues but rather operate at the Batfish on the main day, the 4th, in whatever is at hand. Then spend the next day at a more user friendly location away from the boat so everyone can get their hand in. Hopefully this would help satisfy everyone who made the trip -- even if the water at the Batfish only allows limited ops.

What scale is your Typhoon? I'm sure Wayne would enjoy checking her out!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:42 am

for me, a temp pool, big enough, like on the 2005 event, would be good for both days.

my typhoon is a 1/72nd scale..she is 94 inches long. wayne had already seen the boat in carmel.. it was also introduced on the sub-regatta video..

regards
stefan

wolfsong

Postby Scott T » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:49 pm

http://www.warfish.com/subron5/AMA-pics.html

Maybe a pool place would like to advertise and set up a display for use.
Tulsa is close by and might have a vendor if Muskogee does not.

-Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

event shirt

Postby Scott T » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:43 pm

Any thought to making an event shirt that stars the Batfish.
Subkiller...?

-Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:35 am

a shirt would be a nice idea.. i might try to design a couple once i get to kansas and settled in.
unless of course, somebody else has some designs :-)

how is the planing for the event coming along ?

stefan

wolfsong

Postby PaulC » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:20 pm

That's a good question. I haven't heard an update from Don yet. I'll see if I can't get ahold of him.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:46 pm

Okay, spoke with Don regarding this event. He had a good conversation with Rick at the Batfish who expressed to him that they are very excited about our particiption. To that end they are going to construct a running area for us.

The size as described by Don would be 150'x40'. Depth on the deep side would be 3'-4'. Batfish sits in a large depression in the ground. Her hull would be used for one side of the running area (the length of the side keel). Two berms would be constructed at 90 degree angles to the hull to complete the ends. The ground slopes from underneath the boat out to the end of the berms and would allow the opposite side to be open. Essentially we would wade in from the open side and launch and run submerged on the far side where it gets deeper. They would fill the area with water a week prior to allow it to settle. See the incredibly crude illustration below.

As you can see, the potential is there. Don mentioned we could possibly stand on Batfish and run our subs below. Talk about ambiance! An area to put up some pop-up tents and tables will be provided. We will have access to power and a fire pit for cooking.

The other unique feature of this event is the opportunity to spend the night aboard Batfish on Friday night. Once the sun goes down the attention will turn to fireworks to celebrate the 4th. All SC members will then have the opportunity to spend the night aboard the boat.

Timing remains the same: Friday - Saturday, July 4-5, 2008. The park will open at 10:00am. The park will provide BBQ for sale. Local news coverage and a swing band are being pursued for the event.

Don needs to provide the Batfish people with a head count for the overnight stay. If you plan to participate in this send Don an email at: chris2@poncacity.net.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to SubRon5