Banner Ad 1

1/32nd OTW Designs S Class build thread

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

1/32nd OTW Designs S Class build thread

Postby dhffr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:21 pm

Well, Its been a while but I can finally start this build thread. Got the hull, photoetch deck, tower and appendages from Bob and started grinding away the limber holes. Its a good sized model. About 1.5 inches shorter than the type 7 but is over 8.5 inches wide with alot of volume. There is some serious room in that hull. Not sure about the ballast system and wtc yet so I will continue with the hull setup and deck mounting.

Darrin

Last edited by dhffr on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:25 pm

Tower details. Cast the shears and hatches. Sheeted the inside of the tower with styrene so its easy to stick things to it. Lots of stuff in those British towers.

Darrin

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:32 pm

Looks very nice, Darrin!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks Paul

I also built the masters for the propeller A frames. These will be available as an addition to the basic kit. Again, much different from the German stuff. Outside bars hold a propeller guard that attaches to the stern planes.

This part will be cast in a hard brass alloy. The same as the OTW type 7 A-frames.

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:57 am

A bit more progress. Started the torpedo tube details. Still some more tuning but it should look nice when completed. Also, a shot of the A frames in position.

Darrin

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:31 pm

Darrin,

Very nice!

Were there outer tube doors? I'm completely unfamiliar with this class of boat.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:51 pm

No external doors on the version I'm doing Paul. One neat detail is that the top tubes are actually above the waterline.

Darrin
dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:53 am

Not much to post today. Torpedo tube bulkhead in progress with cast doors in place. A few more details to add. Will be glassed in after the hull is blocked and ready for paint. New propellers and shafts are coming so we are getting close to starting the electronics and pressure boxes.

Darrin
dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:01 pm

Got the photoetched deck bonded and faired to the hull. First shot of primer shows the details and areas that still need attention. Bonded it to the glass casement and used a 1/16 drill bit attached to a dremel for the holes. The PE deck served as a permanent template and the entire process took less than 20 min. Easy.

The most interesting feature (for me) about this kit is the casement and pressure hull are separate parts. (no other S class model has this) When you look into the torpedo and escape hatch areas, you see the top of the pressure hull and surrounding details. I plan to outfit this area with the ventilation tubes,misc plumbing,valves and other associated hardware. You should be able to see details from the top and side through the limber holes. Nice touch.

Here are the detail parts that I worked on over the weekend. 3 escape hatches and 1 torpedo loading hatch sit on top of the pressure hull. Still a bit more cleaning up on the casement but you can see the idea. Last shot is of the PE deck plates that will be bonded later. This will really finish off the model when painted and weathered.

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 pm

Casement bodywork is pretty much complete.
Mechanics will be coming soon.

DH

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:31 pm

beautiful work Darrin. Bob will be proud.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:34 pm

Wow!

You should be proud Darrin.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Tower details

Postby dhffr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Some more tower detail. Oerlikon is temporarily installed. Railings are soldered brass. Rear bandstand area now needs railing and some deck detailing.

DH

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Look what I got today. The A frame is all cast up and fits perfectly. Put a couple pictures in to show the huge differences between the British and German boats. Single rudder will be placed after the A frames and shafts are mounted. Put a line where the final guards go.

dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Postby dhffr » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:38 am

Got the struts and all appendages installed today. Arrangement is similar to a Gato with different shapes on the control surfaces. The struts are cast in a hard brass alloy (prop shop) so they take solder very well. (I soldered the guards that protect the props and planes) This thing is solid now. As for accuracy, Bob sent me the original Vickers plans to build the struts. Last part to add is the cable that runs from the lower keel to the lower tip of the rudder.

Nice

Darrin
Last edited by dhffr on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhffr
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Builder Threads