Banner Ad 1

BRITISH S CLASS HITS USA SHORES

Heard about a new product? Announce it here!

BRITISH S CLASS HITS USA SHORES

Postby kazzer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:28 am

Arriving next week, the first pull from a completely revamped Darnell mold.

The old Darnell mold of this great looking submarine was pretty beaten up, after 40 years. That, coupled with the fact that the previous owner did a lousy (in my opinion) job of laying up the resin, made my first model build a nightmare. The mold was beaten up because this model was THE favorite! There must still be hundreds of them in ponds all over the world.

HOWEVER! The new owner has taken heed of my criticisms (and there were many). He has repaired the molds, putting new edges along the cut lines, rebuilding areas where chunks had broken away, and fixed many minor defects.

Most importantly, he has fixed the problems I had getting the top hull to fit the bottom by making a bulkhead in the forward end of the top of the hull. Now the two pieces mate together extremely well. With this problem overcome, this has to be a sweet boat. There are plenty of them around, and in the water they look really good, dangerous, killers - sort of sexy.

The boat takes a Sub-driver 3.5/2 and 1" propellers. It will be supplied with dive planes, but I am hoping to persuade The Wizard to make a fittings kit for this boat. I prefer the forward plane made from brass or aluminum sheet, as the ones supplied are too thick.

Over 50 of these boats were made, and each one of them has a different look. My own favorite - HMS Sibyl had the domed conning tower with the three portholes, which make it much more BRITISH than the lipped tower as supplied. (I think that makes it look like a German U boat (wash my mouth with soap and water)
Image ImageImage
Image Image

Modifying this model should be fairly straightforward. I have a DVD with LOTS of S Class boats. John Lambert also has several plans - great detail and reasonably priced. [url]lambert-plans.com[/url]

Also arriving T Class British, U & P Class Germa UBoats and a Biber

We were thinking that we'd have to cut these models in half to reduce freight, but another $40 a model covered the dimensional weight charges for long thin packages.

http://moonrakers.com/submarines/sibyl/sibyl.mov

The S & T Class, runs approx $650 - much less expensive that the OTW model

http://moonrakers.com/submarines/S-Class-subs.mov

PM me if you are interested in snapping up these models.
kazzer

Postby pier 72 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:17 am

I've been sending emails to the buyer of the Darnell moulds for some time now and have not recieved any replies (since the very first one saying that he'd just recieved the moulds) as to the availability of the T Class kit.

What can you tell me please?

Dave
All the very best
www.pier72.com
SubCommittee member
pier 72

Postby kazzer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:29 am

Well, its obvious then isn't it! He Hates Australians!

Me, on the other hand, just love 'em! I even have a brother down there!

It gets better - I even have some T Classes coming this week.

And even better, I have Sub-drivers for them.
I also have S Classes coming, and Bibers, and P Classes.
Theres more- I have radios and servos, ands failsafes, and-----------$%@*^%@*-----

Ouch! Damn! (The missus just gave me a smackyhead!)

PM me while I've still got this ringing in my ears! It might be to your financial advantage!

Is that better dear? It's Merriman's fault! His evil ways are rubbing off onto me!
kazzer

Postby kazzer » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:10 am

Its here!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this model. The edges of the hull halves are as straight as a die!
The thickness of the hull is perfect. The hull halves mate FIRST TIME! There is no fiddling to do!

Just look at the bulkhead here! Solid as a rock! No warping or twisting!

Hull is 1/8" thick, on average. Good layup, resin rich (not padded with powder).
The forward end is difficult to lay-up, because of the tight space, however, great care has been taken here to ensure the superstructure area is solid and able to withstand drilling/filing for holes etc.
Bulkhead installed in upper hull forward end - stops flexing.
Minimal clean-up of GRP detail. All holes clearly visible.

Plans en route from Lambert Plans - several versions available.
Propellers en route from Raboesch - should be here this week. 1" diam A Style 3/16 shaft L & R
This boat needs a D&E Sub-driver 3.5/2

The Conning tower needs a floor, and some work to profile it to suit whichever particular boat you are trying to emulate. see http://www.caswellplating.com/models/sclass.html for a few conning tower photos and a slideshow of many boats.
Dive planes and rudder have rods already inserted. The Stern planes and rudder have a good shape, but I built my planes from sheet brass, because these surfaces are FLAT on the real boats, not shaped like a wing. The existing planes will give you an adequate profile.

Gotta love this model!

Scale: 1 to 38 Hull: 68.5 inch Beam: 7 inch
kazzer

Return to New Product Announcements