Banner Ad 1

Zvezda "Oriol" Oscar II 1/350

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Zvezda "Oriol" Oscar II 1/350

Postby woodstock74 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:02 am

I've just bought this kit, my first 1/350 sub kit. I noticed that the detail for the torpedo tube doors is very faint on the left hand side and non-existant on the right hand side. With a scribe I will freshen up the detail on the good side, what do I do about the opposite side? I'm thinking paper template, but as this detail is on the curvature of the nose that might be fraught from the get go. Any ideas or is this a duff part to begin with, do others who have this kit have this issue as well? I can post images if needed.
woodstock74

Postby aeroengineer1 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:57 am

I would recommend that you freshen up the detail on the good side, then make a rubbing/tracing of the detail. Take that and glue it on a thin piece of plastic, say 0.010"-0.020". Then take a drill and rough out the material. Then with a rat tail file finish out the hole. Use this as your scribing pattern. Gently scribe the new lines. It is better to make lighter passes more often than a few heavy passes. The reason is that with a heavy pass you are more likely to go out of your scribe line and scribe something that you did not want to scribe.

Adam
aeroengineer1

Postby hakkikt » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:40 am

I have noticed the same thing on my 1/350 Kursk from Zvezda, they are certainly from the same mold.
Thanks for the tip, Adam!
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Postby woodstock74 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:59 pm

aeroengineer1 wrote:I would recommend that you freshen up the detail on the good side, then make a rubbing/tracing of the detail. Take that and glue it on a thin piece of plastic, say 0.010"-0.020". Then take a drill and rough out the material. Then with a rat tail file finish out the hole. Use this as your scribing pattern. Gently scribe the new lines. It is better to make lighter passes more often than a few heavy passes. The reason is that with a heavy pass you are more likely to go out of your scribe line and scribe something that you did not want to scribe.

Adam

Appreciate the advice. Many of the parting lines on the hull need freshening up. I will also open up the limber holes. It's modeling after all!
woodstock74

Return to Static Modeler