Banner Ad 1

Has someone in the UK built a Polaris Boat?

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Has someone in the UK built a Polaris Boat?

Postby David H » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:03 am

I was looking through the latest SCR and looked at the section that talked about all the different shows that were going on around the place. I noticed that at a sub meet in the UK someone had brought a HMS Resolution Class boat. I love this boat and have oftn ethought of building it.

Does anybody know who this is and are there any pics on the net of this boat running ? I would love to see them...

Regards,

David Hughes

SubComAust :D
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby Sub culture » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:19 am

There are a few resolution class bombers in use around the UK. I've seen at least three sailing.

All of the above have been based on the old R & R engineering model. Ron Perrot made available a complete kit of this model in 1/96th scale, which used twin piston tanks. The model works well, although the piston tanks were rather thirsty as I recall. Unfortunately this model is no longer available. IIRC the moulds were passed onto Matt Thor, but the castings have never reappeared on the market.
S/H kits do come up from time to time.

I believe Ramesh (Wheelerdealer) has one of these boats, so it may be worth shooting him a PM if you want to know more about this kit.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wheelerdealer » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:30 pm

Yes that would be the Ron Perrot kits of the late 80's early 90's. My first static dive sub was this kit which I build on my desk in University over 2 terms (not much studying done that year I seem to remember..) She only had one outing in Clapham Common in 1993 before being put away and now resides on the top shelf in the garage in her original unrestored state, sporting a few scars from house moves, and sadly gutted of internals. I do have an unbuilt kit which I hope to get to some day, and sold a second unbuilt one to a chap who is also a member here.
Here are a couple of pic of a working one taken this year, and mine.

The last I heard is that the moulds were in the hands of Pandan Models (Subtech UK).
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

nice pics

Postby David H » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:50 am

Hello,

Great pics. that's all i wanted to see. If i built a Resolution I'll do my own moulds and so forth. The cost of shipping a kit to Oz would be horrendous.
She's a great looking boat. Would love to see any more..

regards,

david H :D
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:48 am

Certainly one of the better bombers to build.

I know a chap over here with a modified R&R resolution. Modifications included replacing the belt driven piston tanks with gears, and substituting the SALCON with a modern solid state leveller.

He has the boat set-up so that the rear planes control pitch and the forward planes depth. Runs as straight as an arrow.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubCommittee GB