Its been a bit since I updated this build and theres a good reason for it. I was building another boat. Seems once I got the Akula far along enough to where I could play with it, I went on to something else. There's the Seawolf I just finished, I started a PT boat, and I even gave the Dumas Akula a little TLC.
But its time to get this boat 100% SO here I go.
After having run this boat at several different gatherings one thing remains painfully clear. This boat not only looks scale.. it turns scale. Abismal turning for this boat. If your planning on running it in a pool, I would just forget about it. Unless!! you fix it. I considered a few options to fix my turning problem. I could add a piece of clear plexiglass to the end of the rudder with pins to hold it in place. I could also make a small piece that is held on with a rubberband. Both of these would probably work fine but they are not for me because it would add something that didnt belong on the boat. Now I could add bow thruster (plenty of room in this boat) only problem is bow thrusters are useless on a larger boat when there is way on the ship. This brings me to my last option.
To fix my boat I cut the bottom of my fixed rudder off and reattatched it to the moving part of my rudder with epoxy. I simply drew a line all the way around the rudder and razor sawed it off. I didnot cut the whole thing off though. I only cut off from the rudder brace down. I did this to try and give the rudder as much strength as possible while still extending my rudder. After all the rudder usually the one that takes the damage when you hit the bottom. After that was accomplished I filed everything down to ensure there was no friction while turning. Also I had to add a small piece of sheet styrene between the moving rudder and the recently removed rudder to ensure that the proper spacing was retained.
This is another shot from the stern showing my new rudder. Im not sure how much of an improvement i will get from this modification but, I will find out on Sunday when my group has our next get together.
I have also started filling in all the seems with glazing putty to remove all the gaps, as you can see from the above pictures. I have also started painting the boat and adding the rest of the resin cast details the boat came with.