Step 86 : Armature installation
Time to complete : 10 hours.
Total time to date : 748 hours.
The first thing I realized when it came time to install all the armatures is that I forgot to make a casting for the prop shaft hull mounts. These were made as per all the other castings. The installation of the armatures was just a matter of flush sanding up some pieces for a better fit, using tape, clamps, zip ties, and whatever else to hold the things in place, and then Epoxy them to the hull. Once the epoxy was cured, I went at it with my rotary tool with a very small little grinding bit, and then finished up with some sanding in the areas where the epoxy was applied. All of the armature work was done with the hull inverted. Given that this particular sub is a display only, the installation of the armatures was much easier than if it was to be an r/c sub as I didn't have to have any of the rudders/dive planes actually function. In an r/c sub, this phase would take considerably more time using brass rod mounted directly into the dive planes/rudders as well as bushings to allow for the brass rod to function as a rotating shaft. I got a bit of a freebee with this sub.
Step 87 : Painting of the hull
Time to complete : 2 hours.
Total time to date : 750 hours.
Prior to installing the armatures, I gave them all a couple coats of the dark grey paint. I also masked off the area that I wanted to remain the lighter grey of the upper hull before the armature installation. The masking took some time. Like pretty much everything else, it was trickier than I was expecting. Once all the armatures were done, I finished off all the dark grey portion of the hull. Other than that, the most difficult part of the hull painting was finding the right colour of paint. I looked EVERYWHERE for a flat finish, dark grey, spray paint. The only one I found was Krylon Dark Grey Primer. It turns out to be very accurate....as far as I'm concerned.
OK, ...NOW....this thing is starting to look like a U-Boat.
As can be seen in the above photo, I built another display stand for this hull. The reason I didn't want to continue using my "builders stand" is that I didn't want the bow and stern supports to damage the finish on the hull, as my display stands are not going to have these. (These bow/stern supports on my builders stand is for added support, given all the handling).
I also have been busy building a complete other tower for this U-995 display sub that does not have any weathering. The tower is done and ready for install.
Unfortunately, I completely botched my upper deck casting (the only one I was able to cast from my destroyed rubber mold) doing some experimenting on it. So...it's back to the drawing board from scratch to come up with an upper deck. That's the next phase. By God I'm closing in on having this U-995 on display.
More to come
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur
A Bridge Too Far (1977)