Banner Ad 1

Quick Review of the Alanger Akula

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Quick Review of the Alanger Akula

Postby Tracy White » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:00 am

Picked one of these up a couple of weeks ago and have been working on it as time permits. Fit so far has been pretty nice, detail is a wee bit inconsistant; crisp on the top and somewhat soft on the sides where the limber holes are. Hatches, such as for the torpedo tube doors are grossly overdone in my opinion, I'll be using them as templates to scribe lines before sanding down. There is no attempt to mold any of the tiles or some of the visible panel lines, such as around the escape pod.

It certainly LOOKS like an Akula, but there are some errors I can see.

The sail on the real thing has a thicker "trailing edge" at the top than at the bottom; it gets sharper as if nears the hull. The Alanger kit has a constant diameter. Not sure of an easy way to fix that. There is no line

The area aft of this looks like it has too much "turtle back" to me; there are parts that are too angled. I think some time with a sanding stick or file will fix it if you're willing to re-add the detail you erase.

The creeper motors are represented differently than what we've seen in pictures and plans of similar systems on other classes. In the Alanger kit the doors open and a pod with an un-shrouded prop extends down (sort of like an Azipod); what I've seen suggests a ducted prop that is mounted to the door itself.

There are some dimensional differences between it and the Blue Water Navy/ Yankee Modelworks resin kit, but as I lack official plans I don't know which is more accurate.

I'm having to spend some time on the hull joints but it's entirely my fault; I glued it with tons of tube cement as for some reason I seem to always have problems with splitting hulls, but I wasn't watching myself in the "hold it just right" phase and I gave it an underbite on the bow and a slight mis-match otherwise on the side joints.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
Tracy White

Postby Gerwalk » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:28 am

Yes, it has a number of little things to correct but is a nice representation of the real subject (the only one in plastic in this scale BTW).
I struggle with it for a while and I have to return to it soon.
Here you will find some of the work I did on this Akula (scroll down to the last post):

http://www.subpirates.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2491
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Tracy White » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:11 pm

Very nice! It gives me a couple more ideas of fixes!

I started rescribing the bow last night; the torpedo tube lines are so soft it's very hard to get a consistant line around them. If I had the right oval template sheet I might just sand them all down and go from there.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
Tracy White

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:35 am

Tracy White wrote:Very nice! It gives me a couple more ideas of fixes!

I started rescribing the bow last night; the torpedo tube lines are so soft it's very hard to get a consistant line around them. If I had the right oval template sheet I might just sand them all down and go from there.

Yes, indeed: too soft to use them as templates. I had to use a Hasegawa photoetched template to re-scribe the tube and decoys doors.

The main defect is the short stern. I used commercial russian plans to check the dimensions of the model and it fits quite well.

I have to return to my Akula!!
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Tracy White » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:57 pm

I'm about 1/3 of the way done with the torpedo doors currently. You can use the ones that are molded as templates, it's just not as easy and you have to make sure that you don't "wander" as you do. After those is the sail, and I haven't yet decided if I want to fix the trailing edge, as I haven't figured out an easy way HOW.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
Tracy White

Return to Static Modeler