Banner Ad 1

Aquaflite two man mini-sub

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby hampboats » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:35 am

SeaHorse wrote:Hampboats,

There are quite a few original GI Joe Sea Sleds on ebay, like the other Dave was saying, the older toys like your Frogman carry a nice value to them. So if you wanted to preserve the value of your toy, this might be an alternative. You could pick up a Joe sled and R/C it, there are also lots of figures available to make it more scale looking. This one is only $16. on ebay (just a thought) :)

Good Luck with your project!

Thanks for the info. I went to ebay. I already have the Remco frogman but I can use the ebay photos for construction of mine. Some of the G.I. Joe sleds are going for a lot of money.
Dave Hampton
Indy Admirals
www.indyadmirals.org
hampboats
SubCommittee Member

Postby hampboats » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:54 am

Sub culture wrote:
SteveUK wrote:Also provided is a vac formed box and lid which fits inside the hull for the WTC.

WTB (watertight box) would be more appropriate I guess.

Personally I'd rather have a small cylinder in there, boxes make shocking pressure vessels, and a cylinder is if anything, easier to make, especially with access to a lathe.

I can appreciate the strange shape of this boat makes it a tad awkward to accommodate a cylinder, but I'd want one for peace of mind.

Andy

I love the kit. When it is ready, let me know, I want one. Dave
Dave Hampton
Indy Admirals
www.indyadmirals.org
hampboats
SubCommittee Member

Postby SeaHorse » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:32 pm

Dave,

here's a link to a few pictures for reference:

http://www.users.vance.net/grayarea/147 ... asled.html
Paul Strassner
SC 2813
SeaHorse

Postby Bigdave » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:05 pm

$165 and the motor does not even work!! :roll: :roll:
You GI Joe guys will buy anything!! :!: :!: :shock:
Wholly Crap Batman!! I thought we Bubbleheads were nuts!! :roll: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:19 pm

Wow this thread has been busy today!!

Nice projects there guys. 8) Keep us updated with any progress.

Dave, Thanks I'm glad you like it :) . no price set as yet. My friend needs to get his skates on and start pushing these babies out!

Andy I promissed some picstures of the internal setup in mine..
WTB - have you invented a new phrase there ? :P
I take your point about cyclinders. The box feels quite sturdy, though it would be interesting to take one into a swimming baths and swim to the bottom of the deep end with it to see the effects of the pressure.

click thumbnails to enlarge

As mentioned I made a replacement lid for mine. (it is about 1/4 inch thick). It's not showing up too well in the photo below because of its transparency. But it is there sitting tight in the rim. Of course it would be sealed with tape before a dive.

And this pic demonstrates the as supplied vacformed lid in place.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:08 am

Thanks for posting up the pictures. It's laid out as I imagined it would be.

the box will be okay for small ponds, but I would be concerned about going too deep with that set-up. Most of the submariners I've encountered who experience problems with leakage use the boxes.

Looks like there is a enough room for a cylinder. The space required isn't that demanding as these boats don't require a ballast system.

What is the width of this boat, 3.5-4"?

So with the motors in their own little pods, the cylinder will only need to house two or three servos, receiver, esc and batteries.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:19 pm

You're right again Andy. width of the hull (internal useable space) is 3.5 inches.
But the depth available inside the hull is more like 2.5 inches. Those dimensions produce ample room as a box but are quite restrictive I guess for a cylinder.

Oh and.. today was a no go for another test dive down at the pool as it is snowing! :shock:
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby aquadeep » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:43 pm

Hello Steve !
Your sub looks great,have you thoght of one or 2 jet drives from graupner?
I use one on the Octura a modified Deep Dive VI sub and wow what performance! turns on a dime and has gobs of power with a standard 12 volt can motor directly coupled to the jet drive.Also there is no danger of breaking the props and the hull lines make it look like a true jet.
It turned my sub into an underwater jet ski without the loss of too much running time.The funest sub I have ever made.
Reversing is done like on boats with cups that divert the jet.a secound chanel would probably have to be used.
The 4 rudders are great looking but drag is a consideration for running time and if converted to a jet drive you wont need any rudders!.Vector directed thrust is very cool indeed.Maybe just scale down the rudders.
As for rolling the rudders are going to fight that as well,but try as i did to aileronize your wings/ planes and that realy makes a great rool depending on the size of planes and speed atained.
Wings from model aircraft make great diveplanes/rudders with builtin detail.
The X craft is on my ways soon and its prity big.It will be a jet drive also,as the very large and sleek Nubian Starliner from Star Wars.
WTC s made from Otterboxes and Pellican cases,cheap and wter tight to 100ft!
Have a great day Dave :D

aquadeep

Postby SteveUK » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:48 pm

Hi Dave,
I tried making my own shrouded propulsion units - but for some reason the thrust was really cut down by the shrouds. So I left them off.
There's obviously a lot more to jet propulsors design than we think!
I like the sound of the performance you're getting out of your Deep Dive.

The four rudder sytem on mine came about because I wanted it to look a bit like the Bond Lotus. (Hence the Black and White colour scheme also).

Those other sub projects on your board sound cool too. 8)
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:01 pm

2.5" would be sufficient for a decent sized cylinder. May have to use mini servos, but they're cheap and powerful these days.

These boats would make a good class for underwater racing like the Japanese clubs Aqua racers!

Someone was askign about these boats over at the mayhem forum. They posted a couple of pictures from the show-

Andy[/img]
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:55 pm

Sub culture wrote:Someone was askign about these boats over at the mayhem forum. They posted a couple of pictures from the show-

Oh, glad to see these pics Andy. Yes there you can see the proper version, the yellow one. You can just make out his engine pods in the proper position. ..I may just move mine up there where they should be when I fit the new motors.
Also notice his anhedral wings and larger control surfaces too. :wink:

Underwater racing!!! That's a new one on me. Where do they do that, in a swimming pool?
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:48 pm

We've tried to have an underwater race at the SubRegatta for the last couple of years, but everyone gets scared off when the see Big Dave's screamers! Maybe we need a couple of different classes - scale and "let 'er rip!" :D We even had a special award for the slowest of the bunch "The David Bushnell Turtle Award"!

How about it guys - should we do it next year?
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:54 pm

:)

But don't those fastest subs run the risk also of hitting the bottom at speed!? Ouch!

..I thinkyou should definately do it next year, and then put some vid up on youtube so we can all see how much fun you had!
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby aquadeep » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Sure that can happen but with quick control high speed manuvers are posible even in and around jaggid rocks and crevases,thats one off funnest most dangerouse subbing there is and can only be done in clear water!
Once you have done it you wont want to go back to anything less manueverable ,a real blast!!

Jetdrives are very well desighned and made for maximum thrust by engineers and to improve that wouldnt be cost efective in my opinion.
Im all for a race class only event ,that would be great especialy in a place like the Devils Den.Not only would the course be challangeing but you are right on top of the subs running below and therefore close quarter manuevers are posible without collitions.Add leds and some underwater vedeo camaras and wow what a great time we would have!

I will post soon some vedeo of the Octura running the course,some of the turns in the crevases are tretruruse!
aquadeep

Postby SteveUK » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:02 pm

aquadeep wrote:I will post soon some vedeo of the Octura running the course,some of the turns in the crevases are tretruruse!

..yes pleeease. :)

You are so lucky to have such clear water to sail in!! Our lake has no underwater obstacles, ..well maybe the odd shopping trolly :roll: .., but it only goes clear to the bottom for a short time in the year. (and we haven't figured out what makes this happen yet). Most of the time it is murky with visabilty down to about 2ft. ..I blame the Canada Geese! :evil:
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads