Banner Ad 1

Aquaflite two man mini-sub

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Aquaflite two man mini-sub

Postby SteveUK » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:50 am

I have almost finished putting together this little mini-sub.

The story..
I have been helping a friend develop a mini sub for r/c. Called Aquaflite, it is heavily inspired by the Deepflight Aviator.
Although the prototype design has full bubble domes and its motors are mounted on the pylons near the stern ..I just wanted to be different with mine!

So having been supplied with the basic kit mouldings I set about converting it to a wet sub, more like something from a James Bond film.
The two frogmen are basically from bath toys that I have adapted.
I still need to put more detail onto the sub. And I may move the motors up to the as designed positions on the pylons. I liked the idea of having my motors underslung, but it was difficult to do wthout spoiling the lines underneath. :? The jury's still out on that. Also my 4 rudder version turns very well, but I'm not sure if it is because I am getting prop wash directly onto them, or simply because there are 4 of them!

Well I am having fun tinkering :) .

I would like to know any thoughts you might have about my model, and the mini-sub as a marketable concept..

click on thumbnails to enlarge

Mouldings

Adapting the bath toys
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:41 am

Hi Steve - looks like a cool project. SubRon6-er Dave Hampton has taken a HFM Deep Dive VI (not a Hasboro toy as I mistakenly said earlier! :oops: ) and extensively modified it and added a couple of GI Joe type divers.

Last edited by TMSmalley on Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:00 pm

Nice! 8) Thanks Tim.
..is Dave's based on a real vehicle :?: It looks quite believable with that compact little periscope like that. I have seen a photo of a real craft called SDV Swimmer Delivery Vehicle, which deploys from a mother submarine hatch. But since it is a very sensitive subject not much info on them. Not surprising I guess.

I toyed with the idea of adding some sort of periscope design on mine, so I would could have a scope to look at when submerged. Fortunately though being so bright the whole craft can easily be seen even when the water is at its murkiest. (to the pool bottom is only about 4 ft) I must say seeing the prototype at speed under the water is very exciting. So far mine has been slow since I was unable to get the recomended motors. The low drain 385's I put in were not up to the job for top performance - but all that is about to change as I bought some Graupner Speed 400's at the boat show last weekend :twisted: . Now if the frosty weather keeps away on the weekend I might get to try them out.

I would love to see these babies go in a deep swimming pool. I did not fit the ailerons on mine, (I am hoping that the dihederal of the wings will roll the sub automatically during turns), but ordinarily they have ailerons so the sub can perform rolls and loop the loops.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby SteveUK » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:24 pm

I pasted this comment from another thread because of its relevence..
Sub culture wrote:Perhaps you might consider doing both. Market a full kit, which would appeal to newcomers or those who just want a full package, and a 'lite'(sic) kit for more experienced modellers who will probably want to spec their own hardware.

One thing I would change are the front vanes (wings?). They have dihedral, which to me doesn't look right. The deepflight aviator has anhedral, which looks meaner and more like a jet fighter.

Andy

Andy, interesting that you mention the dihedral wings..What happened is the first few fibreglass hulls were pulled out of the mould too quickly and as the resin set the wings pulled up! On the plug and mould they are straight. So the proper design will be anhedral, as you say.

I thought I'd go with the dihedral as an experiment - I'm hoping I'm right in thinking a dihedral will set the craft into an automatic roll when turning...I'll be glad if it does. Of course fitting ailerons and another servo is extra work (which I am hoping to avoid) :P
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:17 pm

You'll have to suck it and see regarding the dihedral.

Personally I think working ailerons (if that's the right terminology) would be well worth the effort- always fun to see a boat like that rolling through the water.

Have you got some shots of the inside? Has it got a tube for the gubbins, or is it sealed off with hatch of some kind?
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:29 pm

I'm not sure if Dave's sub is based on a real sub or not. Maybe he will
chime on.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:39 pm

Sub culture wrote:Have you got some shots of the inside? Has it got a tube for the gubbins, or is it sealed off with hatch of some kind?

The hull comes in two pieces top and bottom with an additional clear canopy moulding.
Also provided is a vac formed box and lid which fits inside the hull for the WTC. Although I made a replacement lid from Perspex for mine - so I can check what's going on inside. The lid is sealed down and made watertight using freezer tape. Surprisingly effective and simple. But it has to be fitted with care. I have an air inlet tube fitted into my WTC so I can blow to make sure the seal is good before I launch.
The WTC box has plenty of space to fit a standard NiCad pack and the other R/C electronics. The box is also wide enough for three standard servo's side by side (to allow for the working ailerons)

Since the control surfaces and pushrods are all in the top half of the hull the WTC is also fitted in the top half, but upside down. Access is gained by turning the model over on its stand and removing the bottom hull section. This exposes the WTC and inner workings. Peeling the tape off the WTC releases the inner lid and opens up the whole WTC box.

I will take a pic for you tommorow in the daylight.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

mini sub

Postby hampboats » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:53 pm

I put a post on the general section about my sub. I really like the idea of coming up with "off the wall" kind of projects. One of my next projects is this. He measures 24" long
Dave Hampton
Indy Admirals
www.indyadmirals.org
hampboats
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:24 pm

I have one of the Remco Frogman toys myself Dave. 8) Jim Butt has one too. :D
We have talked before about doing an R/C version. 8) I look foreword to seeing how you make out. :D My original one I got when I was a kid was lost many years ago. I purchased this one on ebay about 6 years ago. You can get big bucks for them if they are complete. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:43 pm

On a similar note, converting a toy into a working R/C sub. Paul (Seahorse) Strassner and I are going to convert a couple of GI Joe Seawolf subs to R/C. 8)
Should be an interesting project. :D BD.

David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby hampboats » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:08 pm

Here is one possibility that was a drawing from Hasbro that I am using as my guide
Dave Hampton
Indy Admirals
www.indyadmirals.org
hampboats
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:20 pm

How many of us had a Remco Barracuda when we were kids. Maybe doing an R/C conversion and leaving the see through cover on to see the R/C system working. 8) 8)
You must have had one of these Tim?? :D

David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:19 am

SteveUK wrote:Also provided is a vac formed box and lid which fits inside the hull for the WTC.

WTB (watertight box) would be more appropriate I guess.

Personally I'd rather have a small cylinder in there, boxes make shocking pressure vessels, and a cylinder is if anything, easier to make, especially with access to a lathe.

I can appreciate the strange shape of this boat makes it a tad awkward to accommodate a cylinder, but I'd want one for peace of mind.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SeaHorse » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:51 am

Hampboats,

There are quite a few original GI Joe Sea Sleds on ebay, like the other Dave was saying, the older toys like your Frogman carry a nice value to them. So if you wanted to preserve the value of your toy, this might be an alternative. You could pick up a Joe sled and R/C it, there are also lots of figures available to make it more scale looking. This one is only $16. on ebay (just a thought) :)

Good Luck with your project!
Paul Strassner
SC 2813
SeaHorse

Flat boxes

Postby hampboats » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:18 am

Here is a shot of the box I used with my sub. I tried to use a round one but it didn't fit. I found these at a surplus place here in town. They are sold as sealed boxes but with a little work you can make them watertight. I make sure that I tighten them down evenly and then I wrap the seam with marine wrap tape which is waterproof.
Here is a shot of all of the boxes available
http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/produ ... id=350350#
Here is the tape
http://www.duckproducts.com/products/de ... =3&plID=16

I cut a hole in the top and put section of 1 1/2" section of PVC pipe and used a rubber cap to seal it. This way I don't have to break the seal to charge the batteries. The smaller box has the batteries and switch for the lights.
Dave Hampton
Indy Admirals
www.indyadmirals.org
hampboats
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Builder Threads