Banner Ad 1

International Model Boat Show - who's coming?

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

International Model Boat Show - who's coming?

Postby SteveUK » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:53 am

The International Model Boat Show at Leamington is coming up soon 9 - 11 November 2007, as detailed in the "Show Dates" stickey.

Please feel free to use this thread to discuss meeting up, who's coming, questions about the show, etc.

Andrew (and anyone else that's coming) I will be there manning an exhibition stand on the Friday and Sunday, come over and say hello, be nice to meet you.. Our stand is simply called "Powered Boat Modelers" since we are no longer part of the Bournville club. (long story!) Essentially we are just modellers interested in building and sailing our models. Plenty of submarine interest .
I will be displaying my scratch Disney Nautilus and 1/48 U-boat, and an L/A nuke, and a 2 man mini-sub. My friends are bringing their subs too. Should be fun.

Usually there is a good turnout of model submarines throughout the show. But due to the size limitations of the 2 indoor pools the large model subs don't get wet very often. Although this year I am hoping to sail my 2 man mini-sub along with my friend who has been developing the design with a view to marketing them - so there should be the first two operational at the show. Since they are only 2 ft long and designed to be agile underwater they should function well in the indoor pools. (I am looking forward to trying it out.)

Also these pools are great places to have fun with the little micro subs.

More show details

Food prices - (sorry to say) in the show canteen are astoundingly high! I usually take my own soft drink and sandwiches.

Parking - is on a huge field next to the show hall. So Plenty of parking! The field is not lit though and evenings do get dark early by November so a pocket torch may be of some benefit. Also if it rains hard over that weekend the field can get muddy so don't wear your best brogues :wink:
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Boat Show

Postby clive » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:28 am

Hi

I hope to be there on the Friday that is weather, money and time permitting

Clive
Clive An active pensioner living in Wiltshire, England
clive

Postby Sub culture » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:11 pm

I won't be there. But I'd love to see some pictures and more information of the 2-man mini submarine you are talking about.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:49 am

Oh great. Hope to meet you Clive.

Andy, I will take pictures from the show for you including my minisub.
(still working on it to get it finished and ready. I'm hoping to sail it for the first time this coming Sunday. After that is just detailing and lighting to add.)
The mini sub is a project venture of my friend who will also be there. The idea behind it is underwater flight (he is calling the sub "Aqua-flite"). He has installed ailerons into his wings so that he can perform rolls and banking. His looks quite aeroplane like, and it really shifts! But it really needs to be in a swimming pool to perform all the stunts.
One of his other design ideas about the model is for it to be very open to modify and personalise. I wanted mine to be more of a 'James Bond' type min-sub. So I have put twin rudders on the back and changed the dry sub into a wet sub by cutting half of the clear canopies off and I am modifying a couple of frogmen to man it. Then I will be adding other details - harpoons, lights, etc. So far so good.. :)
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:20 am

Any pictures then?

Andy

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:24 am

Sub culture wrote:Any pictures then?

Andy

:oops: oops Sorry Andy!

I forgot to take my camera to the show :oops: . I'll see if I can get some pics off one of Joe, he was snapping away.

What a busy show. I was so tired afterwards. So many people I got into discussions with, wanting to know more about the models. Lots of compliments about my Nautilus and U-boat.

There were some interesting models on other stands too. Someone building a r/c Skydiver and Stingray about 4ft long. I think they are going to be surface running only though.

The Aquaflite mini sub got finished enough (a bit 'rushed') for the show but I will be doing more to it. I can take pics of that for you as it is now. Post them later.. 8)
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby SteveUK » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:19 pm

Andy here are some pics of the two man mini-sub

click on thumbnail to enlarge

"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:12 am

That looks fantastic, Steve.

Heavily inspired by the Deepflight aviator no doubt, though your modifications make it look more like a cross between the aviator and wetflight.

I think this should go up in the building threads.

What's the size of this model- I'm guesstimating about two feet? Plus the cost for a kit, I'm interested in one.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:54 am

Thanks Andy. I'm glad you appreciated it. (I feared most people would question the wings and airoplane styling.)

You are absolutely right, this is heavily inspired by the Deepflight Aviator.

The prototype Aquaflite model infact has bubble domes making it a dry sub. Also its motors are mounted on the pylons near the back..I just wanted to be different with mine, and I like those Bond type craft. :)

Spot on with the length, at 2ft.

At the moment the design for marketing has one central rudder top and bottom. A single rudder on top like an aerolplane was tried, but this resulted in very poor turning on the surface.
(btw my 4 rudder version turns really well :wink: )

He is still fudging with the final design and fittings so hasn't been able to price it up yet.

I'm interested to know your thoughts, What do you think would be best ? - a complete kit with motors & pushrods etc, or a semi kit with just main mouldings supplied and leave the running gear to the buyer :?:

Thanks, that's a good idea to put it in the building thread. I will stick it in and get some feedback.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Sub culture » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:24 am

Perhaps you might consider doing both. Market a full kit, which would appeal to newcomers or those who just want a full package, and a 'lite'(sic) kit for more experienced modellers who will probably want to spec their own hardware.

One thing I would change are the front vanes (wings?). They have dihedral, which to me doesn't look right. The deepflight aviator has anhedral, which looks meaner and more like a jet fighter.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:15 pm

mmm, thanks for your thoughts. They are good ideas I will pass them on.

Andy, can we continue this discussion in the new 'building' thread,
I'll paste a link into it shortly....

here is the new thread http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/ ... 8241#38241
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Return to SubCommittee GB