Banner Ad 1

Ideal Disney Nautilus miniature size? - Preferred Nautilus scale

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby modelmaker » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:35 am

Hello everyone,

If you could have your druthers, what would be the ulitmate Disney Nautilus miniature display size, and why?

There are no wrong answers, and everyone's opinion is welcome.

Just curious...

Jim Key - Custom Replicas
modelmaker

Postby Seawolf » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:23 am

I don't know for sure the lenght of Disney Nautilus.

but if it is below 100 m, let say she have a lenght of Type VIII or Type IX, then I prefer 1/150 to 1/200.

The reason - will have a lower price model and it can be 'moored' on my PC monitor :)
Fiat - Jakarta (Indonesia)
sshhh.... rig ship for ultra silent..........
Seawolf

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:28 am

The Disney version is approximately 177' from ram tip to tail (William... I KNOW that's not exact, give me a break!). In 1:32 scale, that works out to around 66".

My own Nautilus is 1:32 scale, and I love the amount of room in there for all of the working goodies. I've got plans for a new model with working irises, breather flaps, and access retracts, and this scale leaves lots of room for the necessary workings.

However, at 5-1/2' long, and 14" high, she's a very big model. I think a better scale would be somewhere around 1:48. That would give her an OAL of around 44", a nice size for taking to the lake, or for displaying on a shelf.

Put my vote down for 1:48 scale!

P.S. Jim... how is the salon interior setup for your 1:32 coming along. I'm anxious to see!
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wbnemo1 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:30 pm

here ya go the Disney Nautilus length is 178' or 2136 inches......here are the various scales accordingly...the 11 footer scale confirms this overal length as well :D
William
1:16= 133.5 rounded from 133.4900( this is the 11 foot miniature length)
1:24= 89"
1:32= 66 3/4"
1:48= 44 1/2"
1:72= 29 21/32
1:96= 22 1/4"
1:144= 14 13/16"
1:350= 6 7/64"
1:700= 3 3/64"
1:900= 2 3/8"

Edited By Wbnemo1 on 1064943312
Wbnemo1

Postby Work Man » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:27 pm

Would like to see 1/48" scale, with a lighting kit as an option. I should have said this the first time. One reason this scale would be good, is I believe a lot of off the shelf hobby parts might be available for this scale. Thanks again Tom :)

Edited By Work Man on 1065538794
Work Man

Postby Sub culture » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:31 pm

For a static miniature, 1/64th scale, like Brodeens Icons version is a very nice compromise between size and practicality.
Would also make a nice mini R/C sub, however it is generally cast too heavy IMHO for practical R/C use. Needs a nice light layup in epoxy and glass.

For a working model 1/32nd scale is a good size- big enough to look impressive on the water, whilst still remaining transportable.

However, still a little bulky for the back seat of my Mini, so a 1/48th scale model would be very nice.

Ray Mason's boat is one of the nicest nautilae out there and although it is slightly larger than 1/48th scale I believe, it's close enough!

Try getting hold of one mind....!

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1065202591
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby TK-7642 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:36 pm

I also think 1/48 scale would be a good compromise. The most important thing for me is having the shape correct - sleek conning tower raker arch as in movie, authentic streamlined salon housings like in movie model that don't stick out into the water stream too far, and an authentic scale prop size. Harper Goff made a masterpiece and the closer to his design the better. I think CAD drawings could be made from tracing pics of the real thing.
TK-7642

Postby Bigdave » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:42 am

I have to vote for about 1/40 scale. My Nautilus at 52in would be about that scale. It is a Ray Mason hull. I was one of the lucky few to get one. It is not hard to transport, and is not so small that it does not look cool on the water. Dave. :D Image

Edited By Bigdave on 1065558059
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby kurtz » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:12 am

I would like to cast my vote for the 1/48 scale. The work that you put into the 1/32 scale was excellent ... I love that model. But the size prevents me from picking it up and enjoying all the angles ... which is what I do with Brodeen's 1/64 ... another work of art. Somewhere around 48 inches would make for realistic rivet scale and still be a managable model.
Heres the real question; Where is the economy of scale? How much will the average guy pay for a 4 foot Nautilus? If you can crank them out for $600 the demand could be high; If the cost is $1600 ... is there still a genuine interest? I have no idea what the market will bear ... so I guess what I'm saying is ... whats the going price for a 1/48 scale nautilus?
kurtz

Postby modelmaker » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:54 am

I have no idea as to whether or not the market will bear another Nautilus, especially now that Will's toy is going to be entering the market. Inexpensive doesn't necessarily make it a "sought after collectible", especially to detail hounds. Still, I'm sure they will sell just because they are licensed.

If I were going to entertain another scale, I'd have to agree that something near 4 feet would be a fine compromise between the gorgeously detailed 30.5" Brodeen miniature, and our 66" version ( actually its over 66", I just round off to that for ease of memory and discussions - thats' for you Will ).

So, if a 4 footer entered the market, is the real interest in R/C or in static model build-up?

I myself am not an expert R/C builder like you guys, and would probably only be interested in making an exterior available. What we really need is an R/C internist to complete the package.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Jim Key - Custom Replicas
modelmaker

Postby Sub culture » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:12 am

A 1/48th scale Nautilus wouldn't present any real challenge to convert to R/C.

In fact ready made solutions already exist in the form of D&E miniatures WTC's.

There are also WTC's made by small world models and OTW, that would be suitable.

None of these solutions are particularly cheap, and it all dpends on the type of ballast sytem required (some may be more than happy with a dynamic diver).

Cheers

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1065780928
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:53 am

I've got an old pic of a 4-footer Will was working on some years back. Maybe that one will come back around?

As for the R/C 4-footer: Ray Mason. His 50-incher is a beaut and works well on radio.

Guy Takiguchi's first effort was the brass clad 30-incher made from Chris Chulamanis' plans, and shown on the picture gallery here. And it's R/C.

Looks like 'bout anything's possible.

Pat Regan

PS: I hope this isn't going to draw any flak, because I mean it in a positive way. I know everybody's cheering the new 50th Anniversary NAUTILUS, and it's nice! It really, really is. But I spend a lot of time comparing pictures and I gotta tell you: from what I think I've seen so far, when it comes to authenticity, the 22-incher is going to be overshadowed when Will's new 7-footer surfaces. If the goal is to replicate the 11-footer, I think Will's new 7 is going to be the best that's ever been done. (And no, I didn't get paid to say that.)
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Postby Work Man » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:37 am

Jim, I would be interested in a static display version of a 1:48 version of this. Thanks Tom :D
Work Man

Postby Scott T » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:33 pm

How come those that know can't come up with some super detailed drawings and plans of the Nautilus for sale??

With all the corrected hull dimensions, rivet patterns, etc. the drawings should be changed enough to avoid copyright infringements of the Disney drawings.

And if you don't want to sell drawings why not put them out for use from a web site as some have done with the Disney drawings.

Please don't be greedy sale them or share them!

Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wbnemo1 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:21 pm

"Toy" .....it's got all the details of the 11 footer,and your gorgeous boat (66 1/2"er) too..... thanks jim lol umm...to Scott T. ya have to understand the amount of work and time that went or goes into these drawings and to just have someone steal(copying them) for internet sales or any kind of profit.....(it's happend to me in the past,so ,unfortunately I'm chicken...I spent over 9 years perfecting my drawings..however if you keep and eye on Rich Allsmillers site,he still plans to fix things in the Nautilus drawing dept..I hope to help as well,addressing all innacuracies to the plans...Four footer still exsists by the way,just working on other projects at the moment
Sincerely,
William

Ps..Pat,your check is in the mail lmao :D

Edited By Wbnemo1 on 1065835584
Wbnemo1

Next

Return to Television and Movie Submarines