Banner Ad 1

Zvezda 1/350 Oriol and Kursk kits

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Zvezda 1/350 Oriol and Kursk kits

Postby Violetrock » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:58 am

Hello,

do these two kits share the same mould, with probably some alternate parts and decals, or are they different moulds?

Thanks,

Thomas

BTW, do you know any links to reviews of these kits and Zvezdas K-3 and K-19 kits?
Violetrock

Re: Zvezda 1/350 Oriol and Kursk kits

Postby Gerwalk » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:12 pm

Violetrock wrote:Hello,

do these two kits share the same mould, with probably some alternate parts and decals, or are they different moulds?

Thanks,

Thomas

BTW, do you know any links to reviews of these kits and Zvezdas K-3 and K-19 kits?

HI Thomas,
both kits are the same differing only on the decals. Both have the same deffects (wrong propellers, only one vertical lower stern plan, the stern shape has some issues) but nevertheless are good models and the first two defects can be easily fixed. BTW: Revell's 1/350 Kursk is the very same Zvedzda kit.

As for reviews on those two kits (K3 and K19): Tom Dougherty wrote about them in recent SCR issues. IMO they are very nice models and are a good representation of the real subjects. If you do a search in these forums you will find our discussions on them (particularly on the K-19)
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby PeterO » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:23 am

I just won the Oriol kit as a raffle prize at GraniteCon, and I'd like to build it as Kursk. After reading this post and other online info, I have a few questions...

1) Is there a clear photo or drawing of the screws and twin lower rudders? I've seen one drydock photo of the stern, but it's very low resolution (apparently a video capture) and doesn't include the screws.

2) Any ideas on how to represent the anechoic tiles? Masking and scribing each line would drive me crazier than I already am.

3) Is there a clear photo of the white marking on the side of Kursk's sail?

4) Does anyone have a set of Kursk decals that they're willing to swap for the Oriol decals? Or willing to make a high-resolution scan of them for me to print my own?

My kit has a very rough pebbly texture overall, so I've been sanding that down. Otherwise the fit has been average, and it looks good. I was surprised to find it's almost the same size as my Typhoon - I didn't realize it was that large.

Having been bitten by the Soviet sub bug, I've also ordered the Alanger Delta IV.

TIA for the help!

Peter
PeterO

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:45 pm

I can't find Kevin McLeod's posts on his Kursk building but that is your best reference (the SCR has published his work too).
As for the decals, this is what I have:
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby PeterO » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks Pablo. The decal is very helpful.

I found the Oscar build thread, here: http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/ ... hp5?t=4691

It's amazing!

Peter
PeterO

Postby Gerwalk » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:16 am

PeterO wrote:Thanks Pablo. The decal is very helpful.

I found the Oscar build thread, here: http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/ ... hp5?t=4691

It's amazing!

Peter

You are welcome! I did a search using "Kursk" forgetting that Kevin used OscarII instead! Thanks for finding it.

Follow Kevin and all the guys who helped him in his great project and you will have a very accurate Kursk model.

As for details on the "white" crest:
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby PeterO » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:30 am

Thanks again, Pablo! I've got the Oscar assembled and primed, so I'm ready to paint the red lower hull.

I found some pics online showing various white "trim" markings on the hull, so I'll add those to my decal sheet too. They remind me of the white trim that the Soviet Army always put on their vehicles for the May Day parades.

Peter
PeterO

Postby KevinMc » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:49 am

Hi Peter!

Don't forget to post photos of your Oscar when you get it done- There's always something to be learned from looking at other people's work...
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler