Banner Ad 1

Steve Neill scratch built 1/96 type 212

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Steve Neill scratch built 1/96 type 212

Postby U812 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:51 am

Well guys I started this 8 months ago. Many of you saw the first one running at the Regatta. Big Dave my partner in crime worked with me closely in the development of the cylinder just for this little boat. It uses his custom RCABS-R system and is a fine piece of work.

Also many thanks goes to my friend David Merriman who I learned a great deal from over the years. He was always there when I needed him. And top it off he made the two types of props for the boat as well as deck fittings, scopes, ants and masts. In fact David now has the masters which survived the molding process and he plans to carry on with this kit in the near future.

Basically the build consisted of masters made out of wire cut foam from templates and a card board center section of which all was glassed when to shape. followed by careful preening to produce the hull master. Much like the build on the type 17.

All appendages are made from Alumilite originally carved by hand from PVC and the sail Balsa. Panel lines were achieved by using cart tape and lots of primer over them. Once dry I removed the tape and lightly sanded.

All the hulls were laid up out of West Systems epoxy and glass from a two part silicone mold backed with more epoxy for the mother support mold.

To learn more about it you can go to this link. http://subpirates.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2263

Unfortunately since I changed servers some of the pictures are missing. I backed them up and will replace them soon.

What follows next is to get her wet, trimmed and ready for another one of my videos. This time with clear under water footage as I have a new under water camera.

For now here is a few pictures. Two are near finished. The one in red primer is the hull before painting. Still a bit to do on the paint job. I stayed away from heavy weathering this time due to the fact that these boats seem to be always clean like a new Porsche.

I'll post the video when I finish up this weekend. This is the fun part. It was a long build from scratch. Not an easy shape to make by hand. But I'm pleased.

What's next? I'll think on it. ;)

Enjoy the pictures.

Steve

U812

Postby STARK » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:43 am

Super Model Steve!!

Brian
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Postby raalst » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:19 am

Very nice weathering.

Are the panellines recessed or do they stick out ?
i.e. did you scribe them into the hull or did
you stick some material to the hull to obtain
them ?

note to self : first read a post before asking...
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:56 am

Thanks guys very much. I thought I might not make anymore scratch models until I saw this done. Now I'm thinking again. Can't stop now.

But I have several kits to build so I'm going to finish those first and think about it along the way. German. WW2 is the idea. Or maybe Japanese?

Anyway I plan a video shoot this weekend and will post when it's done. Couldn't have done this without BigDave and Merriman. It was a good team.

Steve
U812

Postby Pirate » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:06 pm

Looks great Steve! See, you do have fans here.

I like the red one—looks all rusty.

When you did your details,can you remember how many coats of filler primer you used over your tape lines?

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks Pete. To tell you the truth I don't remember. But 6-8 coats ought to do it. Then sand lightly and peal the tape off. Sand again and your done.

Steve
U812

Postby Pirate » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:18 pm

So you sand again after removing the tape?

I guess that would get rid of the rise of paint at every piece of tape I got on my test piece.

So will the lines still be there?
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:49 pm

Pete yes they will. If you make them deep enough and sand carefully you will get rid of the raised area at the tape. Yes do a couple of tests. It gets better each time you try. You'll get a feel for it and your ready to go.

I believe they make the tape down smaller than 1/32. That's what I used because I had it on hand.

Steve
U812

Postby Sub culture » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:38 am

Do you know of an online supplier for that tape, Steve?

I was going to scribe my weld lines in, but the tape method looks quicker and easier, and it certainly looks the part.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:04 pm

Andy I lost the link to the place that is here in Santa Monica CA. I got it from Adam and yes you can order it on line. Try a search for chart tape and let me know what you come up with. I'm just about out of the stuff myself.

Steve
U812

Postby U812 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:05 pm

Got the boat wet today. I bathroom trimmed it yesterday and did more today. But I need to do a hair more. Cut back on the pitch throws and I got a smooth running boat.

BigDave's WTC worked like a charm. No leaks. No problems and as you'll see in the video(which is real time) I lose signal and she went down about 9 ft to the bottom. The fail safe blew the ballast and even with such pressure at that depth the bladder filled and she got back to the surface. She has plenty of power and turns very tightly in my pool. What a nice change. This boat could really use an APC. But the more I drove it I became accustomed to it.

Unfortunately it was very dark outside and it rained before I could show it on the surface. Didn't want to get my surface camera wet and the wife didn't like the idea of doing video in the rain.

I trimmed the boat so the very top of the sail touched the surface. Another safety. But once she gets real deep pressure changes the game again as is evident by her going to the bottom with an empty bladder.

I was very pleased with the boat for a first run.

Steve

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/ ... nagain.flv

U812

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:14 pm

Great looking boat! I'll bet she maneuvers well with that X-tail.

re: tape - I use ChartPak for the same type of use in creating hull plate lines, etc.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:53 pm

Thanks Jeff! Yes she does. And yes the tape works great specially for those old German boats. You can even stagger the tape to look like uneven weld lines and enamel over them.

Steve
U812

Postby Pirate » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:42 pm

Andy,
I'll post the link where I found mine for all to see, but it's on my computer at work. I'm using 1/64".

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Lobo » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:51 pm

Steve,
Another masterpiece...although your GW kit will always be a cult favorite of mine :D

Any plans on reissuing previous kits or new ones down the line?

Today I spent some time trimming out my GW. Trying hard to get it all done & running before I close my pool...but here in NY leaves are just beginning fall..not much time left!

I would like to install a fail safe in my GW. Can you (or BD if he is reading) give me any particulars on device used & hookup to the RCABS WTC we are using?

Thanks
Steve NYC
Lobo

Next

Return to Builder Threads