Man stand down is primo sub build time. Im juggling 3 projects and im still bored!
Today was fun. I mounted up the drive line for the boat and attatched the the upper and lower rudders.
I started out by finding the center of the tail and drilling it out with a 1/4" bit. Then I filed the hole to accept the brass tube that I am using as a guide and journal bearing. Then i put the shaft through and connected it to the drive dog bone and used a rubber stopper to help set the shaft level and center. Then I used CA to lock the aft tube in place.
Next I measured how tall i would need the next shaft mount to be. The i grabbed one of the half circles that was left over from making the WTC mounting brackets and cut it to height. Then i used the table sander to bring it to a good fit where i wanted my mount. Then i cut two notches in it to allow controll rods and water to move freely and i glued it in.
Next i marked where the shaft would pass through my mount and i drilled a 1/4 " hole to insert another journal bearing made from 2 brass tubes all close fitting.
Now everything is all hooked up with two lock collars to prevent axial thrust and transfer the thrust to the hull.
And a look at the rudders installed.