Banner Ad 1

Trumpter Seawolf

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Trumpter Seawolf

Postby Rogue Sub » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Well..... All i have to say is that David Merriman Sucks! After seeing his "bragging rights" at the regata i had to go and rip my static model off the wall. I then razor sawed it in half and snapped off all the apendages. I now have all the planes working and a way to attatch the hull halves together. I have also started preliminary fitting the WTC i won at the regatta with parts. Just need a motor and servo to get it going. Pump jet anyone.

Dave's Bragging Rights

Original Sub

Now

Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby SteveUK » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:34 pm

What exactly were those 'bragging rights' :?:
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby U812 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:02 pm

4 master built Seawolfs made in record time and flawless. What else does Merriman do but excellent work? Thus bragging rights. No contest here. Just great work.

Steve
U812

Postby SteveUK » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:49 am

Oh yes Dave does do excellent work. (But don't tell him I said so ..we don't want his head swelling :wink:) Doesn't he also do master pattern making for model companies and stuff for the movie industry (I think) ?

..but were the Seawolfs working models?? :P - just wondering why this prompted Nuke Power to hack into his model with a razor saw.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:47 pm

all were functional. He just needed to put in the wtc and connect the control rods and drive shaft.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:29 pm

A quick shot of the mock up im doing for inside the WTC. Not sure if i want to build a seperate WTC for just the motor to save room in the main comp, considering my parts arent all super miro.

ALL ADVICE IS WELCOME
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby U812 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:19 pm

Yes David has done all that and more. Been there too. 35 years in motion picture visual effects but what really is impressive is the work he does for the hobby.

Hollywood? Well you know. Doesn't really count in my book. And I live and work here. Really the guys that I have the most respect for here are the ones that served on our boats and make great models. Hollywood can't hold a stick to that.

Steve
U812

Postby Rogue Sub » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:40 pm

Thanx Steve it means alot when you say that. Sometimes I feel like such a small timer compared to alot of you. Either due to inexperience or lack of budget to do it the cool way. I tend to try to make mine from what I have. LIke my cars and such if youve read my SCR article.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby U812 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:55 pm

You bet. A BTW. You guys can use your sonar again! Local judge got put down and the ban. Ha! Ha!

Good hunting.

Steve
U812

Postby Rogue Sub » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:28 am

You lost me
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby SteveUK » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:11 pm

U812 wrote:Hollywood? Well you know. Doesn't really count in my book. And I live and work here. Really the guys that I have the most respect for here are the ones that served on our boats and make great models. Hollywood can't hold a stick to that.

Steve
Well I can understand that - One is a world of make believe and entertainment and one is for real. It just hit me recently after reading a book on submarines (including many disasters) the risks that men of the submarine service take even just clamping down the hatch and going under! Sadly there are too many true stories. Yes these men have my utmost respect too.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Rogue Sub » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:43 pm

All Stop...

Well heres the deal. I recieved a WTC from Mikes Sub Works as a prize at the regatta. It is a 6" long 3"dia Lexan tube with resin cast end caps. Unfortunately it would seem that the prize I have won was left over junk. The endcaps have shrunk and are too small. The oring groove is to close to the end of the cap to even seal for ****. Not to mention there werent any orings included. I contacted MIke's subworks about a week ago asking for new caps and surprise no response. This is where this build takes a turn.
I contacted David Meriman III instead. I now have enroute one Meriman Trumpter seawolf resin cast upgrade kit and WTC to match it. I will be removing all the controll surfaces and yoke arms i have previously constructed and will be replacing them with the new one.
This will now be a great right up for those of you who didnt not get to see this kit in operation in Carmel.

To Be COntinued...
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Rogue Sub » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:33 pm

Ripped out all of the work I have done with this model today. I also drilled out all of the MBT vents in the upper hull and began filing out the vents on the bottom. What a living hell. I forgot how crappy it was to do this stuff. It was alot easier with my 1/96 scale boat casue they were so much bigger but, this little thing is gonna make me shoot someone. Look how far i got in 40min. I also plan on drilling out the diesel generator exhaust vents to allow air to escape the sail whil diving. Im told i dont have the patients for this stuff. Lucky for me i like to prove people wrong.

My old set up. It worked but, not that great

Drill first

file later (this is 40 min of work)

The hole i cut in the hull to help air escape in the sail. You can also see wires for the running lights
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Rogue Sub » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:34 pm

Todays Update

Well today i tried to file out the holes for the Diesel exhaust. What an abysmal failure that was. I ended up refilling the holes.
Also today I removed the bump on the sail that doesnt belong and i cut out the bridge and look out to allow water to escape the sail.
I also finished all those silly little vent voles on the bottom and ripped off the substandard cleats in preparation for the new proper scale ones.

All done filing those silly things

a view of how i vented out the bridge. Originally i had it filled in fith squadron putty to make it look shut up. Removing that was a pain in the butt. After it was all cleared out though I drilled out the fwd and aft walls with a 1/16" bit and then filled it clean . I also drilled and filed out the look out's hole just aft of the bridge.

The sail after all modification. The front ofthe sail was inaccurate so to forrect it i removed the flap for the ships horn and filled it with squadren putty. I then used a file to sand down the bump on the front of the sail. Some guys use a dremel but i get in trouble with those and take to much off. I thend sanded it down to smoothness and reassembled the whole thing.
Last edited by Rogue Sub on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby SteveUK » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:39 pm

It's improvement all the way. 8)
And on the plus side - at least the cuttings are just plastic and not that prickly fibreglass stuff :x . That's what I really like about these recent large plastic subs kits, cutting into them is much nicer.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Next

Return to Builder Threads