Banner Ad 1

Pitch control for 31" Nautilus

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby ferdelance » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:27 pm

I am converting a 31" static model of the Disney Nautilus into R/C. I have read that placement of the rear dive planes just aft of the salon window is not an optimum place to control the sub and that they really should be placed farther aft. While this makes sense I am hesitant to modify the sub and change its original design.
I would like to rig an APC to the original rear dive planes for pitch control. Can anyone tell me whether this will work at all or will it simply not be very efficient?

Thanks,

Lance
ferdelance

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:08 pm

Don't bother with the stock planes at all. They're too small and too poorly placed to make this sub work well. Tack on a set of clear plexi planes aft of the prop. This works exceptionally well and won't spoil the look of the sub in the water.

This is what I did with my 32nd scale Nautilus, and I'd never go back...

Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveUK » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:49 am

H, Lance.
Probably you already have her running now, but, ...I agree the designed position makes the stern planes very inneffective. The absolute best performance setup is like Bobs, because he's getting the thrust of water directly from the prop, and it is more effective right at the stern.

But! I do have to add that I have seen underwater footage of Dan Kachur's Nautilus in a swimming pool and that seems to be working perfectly with the 'as designed' configuration. Since the model is sailing quite slowly and gracefully in this video I conclude that the rear dive planes will work as designed, but not as effeciently as ones placed actually at the stern. I think Dan's Nautilus was ballasted exactly neutral for that to happen. There's the rub.. often we are in a murky lake and can not see when neutral bouyancy is attained, and so we tend to sail slightly positive bouyant and drive the sub under dynamicly to overcome the remaining bouyancy. It follows that the more bouyancy your sub has the more dynamic force you will need to overcome it and drive her under.

To answer your actual question :wink: ..Rigging an APC to the 'as designed' rear dive planes will not be effective in keeping her level IMO unless you are able to achieve near neutral bouyancy.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Return to Television and Movie Submarines