Banner Ad 1

Fixing pin hole leaks

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Fixing pin hole leaks

Postby w1cdo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:25 pm

I am just starting to build my Engel Lafayette. The two hull halfs have an excellent internally glassed in strip bonding them together. I have some pin hole leaks near the bow. The joint between the two halfs is so tight that nothing I have will infiltrate the pin holes. Should I use my Dremel to slightly open the exterior of the seam enough to be able to get a filler in? They suggest a two part filler, but what I have is too thick. May I please have suggestions.
Thank you,
John Maguire
Seattle
w1cdo

Postby Pirate » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:06 pm

If you do end up doing that, and you plan to use a two-part epoxy to fill in, make sure it is a water-proof epoxy. Not all of the quick cure epoxies are.

Good luck.

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby w1cdo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:46 am

Pete,
Thank you for your reply. I think I have a solution - follow Engels' instructons! They suggest a two part filler on the outside and the inside. The outside seam is too tight for anything in my estimation other than a very fine filler. When I wrote the initial post I could not visualize a method to get anything all the way through the interior of the hull to the bow where the leak is.

This morning I found a long tube that is about 1 1/2" in diameter and long enough to reach the bow. Today I chemically cleaned the inteior of the hull and dried it in the sun all day. It has been said on other areas of this forum that the Engel hulls are made of polyester resin. Tomorrow I plan to mix some polyester resin and pour it through the tube so that it reaches the bow area. I believe that will solve my problem. I can see that several have read my initial question. If what I am proposing raises any red flags in anyones mind, please advise.

Thanks,
John Maguire
Seatle
w1cdo

Postby Sub culture » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:59 am

The Lafayette hull is moulded in epoxy, according to the Engel website-

http://www.engel-modellbau.de/catalog/p ... dc4ae1f612

If it's just pinholes, then I'd have thought that a small run of cyanoacrylate run around the outside would wick in and seal it satisfactorily.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby w1cdo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Andy,
That sounds too simple! And silly me for not reading what my own hull is made of!
Thanks,
John
w1cdo

Return to Builder Threads