Banner Ad 1

1/32 OTW type VIIc

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby robotz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:19 pm

The torpedos are made of aluminum tubing with a "round location pin" for the nose and honest, a section of mechanical pencil (working end) for the tail.. the fins are trimmed from the remainder of the PE sheets and the props are made from some other PE pieces.... they turned out pretty nice but are strictly static only.... hope I answered your question
I'm an engineer! I can break that and have the tools to make it better.
robotz

need riging parts...

Postby robotz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:28 pm

good afternoon!
Things are progressing nicely but I seem to be short a few parts...
i'm looking for (1) item 58 "y-connector", (9) item 55 Arial insulators,
(5) item #57 straight connectors and I was wondering if anyone else who has this, and didnt rig it- are the parts available, and could I somehow talk you out of them?
thanks so much!!
robotz

well, a wash to lose some of the heavy rust- and a crew

Postby robotz » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Well, a year later, and I'm pretty (or VERY) happy...
Thank you Jeff for all your help, and Robert (OTW)-
wow, (as you put it) it's an amazing "semi-kit" that turned out to be far more than I could have hoped for.
The only question I have is.. "where do I go from here??"

I hope it helps sell another one, and/or it provides some reference pics to those kits still coming up...
geez.. is it big.... hahaha.. and fun to assemble.
And here I thought the CR Nautilus was the ulimate.. "NOT"!!!

Enjoy... and yea.. I know.. there is too much rust on these pics, but trust me.. it's better now, only I still have to take some better/ newer pics...
this should hold the gang for the moment...
I'd appreciate any coments..
one more thing.. I have CT (laser-cut) wood strips and exterior rear CT vents in stock if any one might be interested...(such a deal)
hope ya like the pics....

[/img]
robotz

Postby robotz » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:56 pm

not too shabby eh?...
I've got alot more pics, but I'll save some bandwidth byholding them back..
the rust?.. ya, too much, but then again, if you're out "bowing up ships and such".. you're not gonna repaint the ship..so there it is..

well, whats the thoughts of the committee??...

oh.... the rigging is fishing line, made taught with a hair dryer...
I LIKE IT...
robotz

Postby Don Prince » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:03 pm

Hi Robotz,

Anybody that completes the 1/32 OTW deserves a round of applause... I agree that the rust is fairly heavy, but it's your model and you are the one whose opinion matters! However, I would suggest that you swap the target scope with the aireal scope and place the target scope into the tower shear...

Note: the target scope has the smaller head with the twisted wire around the tapered shaft to help eliminate the trailing wake.

Regards,
Don_
Don Prince
SubCommittee Member

Location: 5335 Brierstone Drive, Alpharetta, Ga, phone 678-577-0476

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:15 pm

where did you get the insignia for the front of the tower...boat looks great....Rick
Rick

thanks for the comments....

Postby robotz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:26 pm

Don, thank you- I swear.. it's big and the only reserve thing I can say is the fit of the resin tower to the etched brass floor... they dont line up. I took heavy stainless screen and made it the base for the tower... kinda looks like drain vent screens or such.. other than that.. "awesome, and worth every dollar de-flated penney."
If I understand right, I need to switch the scopes... aheeeeee, documentation could need some better pics...

Rick-
The substancial amount of etched brss this comes with, which I believe actually is bought from "Accurate Amour" for thier 1/35th kit... this is one of the pieces... I think it's intended for the "base"... I like it there... kinda different huh??

FWIW- We all know "U-571"??
Take a peek.. I know Bill Skinner- His wife rides horses with my ex.. (production design)... heck of a nice guy... He seems to like the pics too...even if he argees there is too much rust... BUT IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE THAT ANY MORE!!!
I'll swap the scopes once I've seen the plan confirmed....eh, I tried..
thanks guys!!
robotz

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:58 pm

Hi guys,

There are a number of Accurate Armour parts used for the OTW Type VIIC kit.....but the photo etched sheets are not from AA.

The AA parts are the green cast resin parts and most of the cast soft metal parts.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Perhaps I stand corrected..

Postby robotz » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:34 am

>>There are a number of Accurate Armour parts used for the OTW Type >>VIIC kit.....but the photo etched sheets are not from AA.
>>The AA parts are the green cast resin parts and most of the cast soft >>metal parts.

someone out here in the committe made the deck.. gotta be.
geez, Jeff, I thought it was you, in all honesty.??

if the exchange rate ever kicks back our direction I suggest this one..
documentation could use some help, but perhaps my pics to "OTW" might assist the next victim..

A good project ..thanks to all..
Jeff....Bob, Robert.....need I list them all?
where the heck am I supposed to put it?? nothing in the instructions...

awesome kit... hands down
robotz

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:08 pm

re: OW Type VII PE deck.....

The original PE deck was done by the originator of the kit (can't remember his name.....was it Martin Hartshorn?). OTW acquired the kit and has updated it extensively.

Where I was able to help was in the creation of two new deck sections: The first was deck section #3...the section that has the deck gun. I created the version that has the schnorkel well. This for the mid- to late-war version of the Type VII with the two-level Wintergarten. By the way, this new Wintergarten has a completely new PE deck (new deck section #2) as well and represents the later version of the deck without the slots.

All of the original details were recreated so that the new main deck section would have the same look and level of details as the original.

So far, only deck section #3 and the conning tower deck that has been done in CAD....the originals were hand-drawn.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Yes it was Martin Hartshorn. I believe the new s-class was his work too, but has been finished off by OTW.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Static Modeler