Banner Ad 1

Possible New Running Site

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Possible New Running Site

Postby PaulC » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:24 am

Guys,

Got a closer look this weekend at a possible running site that has been on the radar since last year: Landa Park, New Braunfels, Texas. It is a 1.5 million gallon pool fed by the Comal Springs. The spring water keeps the pool a constant 72 degrees year round.

As you can see from these panoramic shots, the pool is quite large and the setting is lush. There is a 20 foot (est.) grassy slope which leads down to the pool which is laid out like a giant "L". The dogleg shown has a kiddie play area and a shallow beach. This shot was taken from the left hand side of the large slide in the center of the pool (shown in next shot).

Here is the reverse angle showing the rest of the pool. There are large open areas on either side between the "Wet Willie" slide and the platforms in the middle.

This is the open area to the right of the main slide. Plenty of room to run boats. The far side has a large shaded grass lawn. The light blue on the water's edge is a concrete ledge which is about knee deep. It runs the length of the pool on that side. The water depth of the pool from the ledge to the near side is 7 feet.

Here is a shot to give an idea of the water clarity. You can clearly see the bottom 7 feet down.

For public use the fee is $4.00. Perhaps we can cut a deal after the summer public use season and have it exclusively for the day. I'm sure we'd have to pay for a lifeguard one way or the other.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:21 am

So perhaps we're talking an annual Fall Fun Run for exclusivity, instead of our traditional summer one? The place looks ideal! I'm in, ol' buddy.

Jeff
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:36 am

Jeff,

It all depends on the cooperation of the parks dept. It is a very nice site. With all the swimmers it does stir up the waves. But there was plenty of room for running even with the public use last Saturday.

Lifeguards are always the issue. If you have a public pool, even if you aren't going to swim in it, they have to have lifeguards. However, if we were to stand on the wall to the left of the first picture and run in Landa Lake, we are on our own no problem!

Maybe I should get my kids trained and have them come and stand watch.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:23 am

....possible SubRegatta '08 site! :D

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:08 pm

Looks like a great place to run, Paul! Thanks for finding it! I've never even heard of the place before...

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby PaulC » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Carl,

Yes, this isn't too far from you. You should go over and check it out. Take the kids because it really is a fun place to swim. I really wanted to do the slide but we were on our way home.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:01 am

Neat O

Say, what else is happening around there?

As you know every year I bring my stand off scale HMS THEWIFE and while its never really run right I have grown fond of the ballast she provides in back.

Is there any shopping, zoos, that sort of thing?

Looks great. If it gets too hot jump in!

TomK

P.S. Don't you dare tell on me Porteous!
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:52 am

Tom,

You can assign Marcia the following ops:

In New Braunfels there is tubing on the river, shopping, antiques, lots of historic buildings, etc. The Wonder Cave and Natural Bridge Caverns are nearby.

A short drive to San Antonio there is the Alamo, the riverwalk area downtown with lots of stores and restaurants, Fiesta Texas theme park, museums, botanical gardens, a highly regarded zoo and Seaworld.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:56 pm

And just a little to the north is San Marcos, and the huge outlet mall...

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Return to SubRon5