Banner Ad 1

Anything going on for Southern CA?

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Anything going on for Southern CA?

Postby liftmys10 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:03 am

My sub has been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. Havent put her in the water for almost 2 years now. Hell, i havent even installed my subtech apc3 yet and dont know how. So any sub activities going on in SO CAL?
liftmys10

So cal

Postby tknofile » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi liftmys10,

I'm not too far from you, toluca Lake, and I don't know anyone near here who does subs. send me an email to chat further.

-Rick

tknofile@adelphia.net
tknofile

Postby Mike Dory » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:10 pm

Hey - Hear is the 411 on Sub action in So. Cal. (1) Inland Nautical boat, Riverside Ca. has two regatta's every year, one in the fall and one in the Spring. There open to all boats and most often have several Subs there. They also run boats every Sunday morning at Freemont Park lake ( go off of Hwy 60 on the market st. off ramp, entrance to the park and lake first exit on your right. Check there web site. (2) There is another group, Mairtime modlers, Whitch untill resently had been using Cerriots Regional Park on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month. However the lake there as been undergoing repair and was closed the last time I was by it. So, I'm not sure. what's been going on for sure. E-mail me a private message and I'll give you the club's Pres. home phone number.

As for my self, I've beem beached for a time, My wife is fighting cancer. However, If you wish to come with your boat to the Lake Elsinore area on a time I'm not needed at the hospital, I'll help you install your APC and trim your boat. Best Wishes Mike Dory
Mike Dory

Postby liftmys10 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Thanks guys. I sold my USS Albacore a few days ago. I guess no need going to the lake for a while till i get my Revell Gato ready.
liftmys10

Postby JefftyToo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:05 pm

We'll look forward to checking out that Gato, Liftmys10. And thanks for all the sub-running info. above, Mike Dory! Hope to catch you at one of these venues myself. Meanwhile, however, I have additional news of interest to So. Cal. SubCommittee members:

A new aquatic theme park is currently under construction right here in my own base of operations: La Mirada (roughly at the border between L.A. and Orange Counties, north of Buena Park). I've been in touch with the park's director ever since first learning of the development, and have essentially secured an invitation for R/C submariners to participate in some manner in their opening festivities. Dates and details have yet to be announced, but I'll eventually post information in a new message thread here in the Upcoming Events/Regattas section. Fellow local members I know or have met can look forward to individual e-mail updates when info. becomes available: Neil Schmidt, Dave Manley, Will Oudmayer, Mike Dory, Joe Park, Rick Galinson, Lee Upshaw, Steve Neill, Dan Rose, Ed Cannady, Chris Caffee -- this means you. ANYONE wanting to be on an e-mail list about this (eventual) event, however -- and I mean all you No. Calif. types potentially interested in a trip south as well -- please get in touch and let me know.

Called "Splash," the complex comprises several types and sizes of pools -- including a "moat" surrounding a small "Skull Island" type of kitschy theme area. Scheduled completion and initial opening to the public is slated for sometime in October. For more info., go to http://www.cityoflamirada.org/ and click on "Splash." For current construction photos, go to: http://www.cityoflamirada.org/aquatics_photos.htm.

To be honest, the idea is not so much to participate in the park's Grand Opening for its own sake, but by doing so to create enough excitement and good will to encourage permission for at least semi-regular followup runs thereafter. (Last month, SubRon 5 enjoyed the use of the entire pool complex at Texas A&M University, so stranger things have happened -- thanks, PaulC!)

I believe the trump card for our verbal pre-agreement on SubCommittee participation was the DVD I sent of the '05 SubRegatta -- the one featuring plenty of local TV news coverage. Naturally, the park will be looking for maximum publicity with their opening, and we can help with that. Hey, WE know subs are sexy. People will come! Of course, the SubCommittee is always looking for PR opportunities as well, so this could prove quite a symbiotic initial Fun Run. (Which reminds me: Tim Smalley, if you're reading, any chance we could borrow a vinyl SubCommittee banner when the time comes?)

As I said, details are not yet worked out. But I will be following up with more info. when available, and hope the SC's Southern California bubblehead contingent will be interested in making a good showing.

Jeff Porteous
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:07 pm

Looks great Jeff. I'd like to go. Thanks for the effort you have put out.

Steve Neill
U812

upcoming park event

Postby WILLOUDMAYER » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:55 am

Hi Jeff, keep me posted on the park event.

regards Will O.
WILLOUDMAYER
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mike Dory » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:14 pm

Hey Guy's, In addition to the San Francisco Fall Regatta, AKA , (Sub-Fun run) Which is always a great time, on Sept.15-16. There will be a Regatta in Riverside Ca. On Oct.21 put on by Inland Nautical Society. (See there web site WWW Inland Nautical Socity.com) for more info. This is not an all Submarine event but it can be alot of fun and there should be a few subs in attendence. Best Wishes Mike Dory
Mike Dory

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas