Banner Ad 1

North London Sub Fun Run 2007 - Date proposal

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Postby Wheelerdealer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:12 pm

20th of May? Heck I need to get a move on too!!
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer

Postby Paul von Braun » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:36 pm

Ramesh, thus the results of me getting a move on...

Uzo not yet secured, hence funny angle...

Paul.
Website detailing OTW Designs Type VIIc build: http://www.u96.freewebspace.com
Paul von Braun

Postby Sub culture » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:52 pm

Very nice, Paul. Condiments are a bit out of scale though, aren't they? :wink:

BTW folks. The 20th May isn't set in stone yet. That's the date suggested to me by Mel Parker. If we don't go with May, then it'll be September time methinks.

It all hinges on what the AMS guys think of the idea.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:10 am

I'm afraid the North London Sub Fun Run 2007 is hanging in the balance at the moment.

As reported earlier, we have had some water quality problems over the past few months, notably a thick green algae which has turned the pond water opaque. It was hoped that the winter months would kill of the algae, allowing us to dedge the pond of leaves and other rotting vegetation, but this hasn't happened.

I suggested draining the pond, however this is not an option, as the waterboard have handed the club a quote for two grand for refilling (pond holds about 40,000 gallons), ouch!

So we will have to find another way. No other members have any ideas, and no one has stepped forward to assist, which means it's left to me and my father to do the work, which sucks to be frank.

Compounding this, are a whole heap of club politics which are in danger of dividing the club, and have resulted in a lot of the 'doers' getting the hump and going on strike.

Suffice it to say I will do what I can, but I can't guarantee this years event will happen.

The pool run is still making progress however, and a glance at the events section will highlight that there are many events for model subbers to attend.

Andy

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:59 pm

Andy,

Any news on the pond?

Michael
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:28 am

I was up there last week, and it's still the same pea green colour.

About 3" of visibility maximum. The club committee have agreed to pay for chemical treatment (which is the only viable solution this year), but that still leaves the pond to be dredged.

Some of it has been cleared, although it's difficult to see what you are doing and it's very slow work trying to hawl silt and leaves through water.

At present, I don't think this years sub run is going to take place, which is a shame, but these things happen.

If we manage to get the pond clear in the next month or so this situation may change. Sorry guys.

I'm still working on the pool run, for this to happen I need a few more folk to step forward and say they'll attend. So far I have about eight names in the hat, thanks for the support but it's not enough. Pool hire will cost £240, and that's at a discount rate, so I need at least twenty names before I book the pool.

There is a note about this in the forthcoming report.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:35 am

I take it you've announced it at Mayhem?

Michael
Himszy

Postby Wheelerdealer » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:01 pm

Yep, let the Mayhemers know about the Pool Run too, I know of at least one other on there who's expressed an interest. If it helps, but me down for 2 tenners as I wil be bringing two subs :D
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer

Postby Sub culture » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:40 pm

Okay, posted on the Mayhem forum too.

The Colney Heath fun run is now definitely off. I have been up there again today, and the water quality is dreadful, not even fit for skimmers.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:10 pm

Shame.....Always next year I guess....

I guess that means we should vacate this topic...

Michael
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:39 am

Hmmm, well we'll have to see.

Not too sure if I'm going to continue as a member if things don't change. It's not a cheap club to belong to- membership costs £52 per annum, and most of that goes towards the track at Colney Heath, a magazine with nothing of interest to a marine modeller and the Finchley headquarters, which I rarely attend.

Without a suitable pond to sail in, and a reluctance on the part of marine members to engage in rectifying the problems with it, I'm thinking it's time to to move on. To where, I'm not sure- there aren't a great many ponds suitable for subs in my locality.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:52 am

Isn't there a group that sail in the Thames? Or is that your lot?

Michael
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:28 pm

Dunno. It isn't our club that's for sure, we're not even close to the Thames.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to SubCommittee GB