Banner Ad 1

Northern England Submarine Day - Barrow in Furness

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Northern England Submarine Day - Barrow in Furness

Postby Davy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Hi All,

Just to let you know that you are all invited by the Furness Model Boat Club to the Park Lake on Sunday 25th March to the submarine day - 10pm to 3pm.

The photograph shows last years home fleet line up.

This is a good chance for modellers in the North of England and Scotland to meet up. AMS members, SubCommittee GB and even UK :D members all welcome.

See you there!

David
Davy

Postby Sub culture » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:18 pm

Added to show dates for 2007 'sticky'

Don't think I can make that one, but have you got any directions, map, website etc. to put up, to help others that may wish to attend.

Cheers,

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:14 am

Thanks for putting it up as a sticky, Andy.

I will post more details in a day or so.

David
Davy

Postby ajg141 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:23 pm

I've put it in my diary and hope that I can make it from Edinburgh. Been a while since I was last in Barrow.

Andrew
ajg141

Postby Davy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:47 pm

Hi Andrew,

Excellent. Hope to see you there.

David
Davy

Postby Davy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:56 am

Hi all,
Map shown above. My suggested route is coming in from Ulverston, head for Furness General Hospital/ Furness Abbey. This gets you on to Abbey Road. Go towards the town centre but at the White House Hotel turn left into Park Drive. Head down the hill and you will see the School playing fields. Park about level with the Rugby posts. Lake / entrance is on the other side of the road. Grid reference here is SD207 698

The lake has good access, is a bit less than waist deep and is not very clear at the moment!

Alternative attractions in Barrow (for other halves etc) Furness Abbey (Most impressive), Dock Museum (Its free) and don't miss looking at the town hall (Wonderful!) and the Devonshire Dock Hall (Where the 1:1 subs are made.) There is HMS Onyx visible off the bridge by the Dock Hall (I don't think it is open for visitors yet.) Also the Lake District Wild Animal Park is open (You drive past it in your way in to Barrow. (I've never been, sorry)
http://www.wildanimalpark.co.uk/

The Club House will be open from 10am (Toilets are by the play ground behind the Club House.) and you can make a brew there, get warm etc.
Club web site is:
http://www.geocities.com/furnessmbc/

See you there.

David
Davy

Postby Davy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:58 am

I forgot to say.

The club members are a very friendly bunch but don't get too carried away telling them about how your model is really realistic etc.

They probably built the real one!

David
Davy

Postby Davy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:37 pm

STOP PRESS! STOP PRESS!

We have realised that we are clashing with the Ellesmere Port Exhibition.

We have changed the date to Sunday 18th March and the times from 11am to 3.30pm.

Sorry about this and I hope it hasn't inconvenienced anyone too much.

See you there!

David

a
Davy

Postby ajg141 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:59 pm

Change noted. My mate and I will still do our best to be there - don't want to miss this! The current idea is to have an Akula and Kilo with us - but no promises! My recently acquired 103" Eden Los Angeles - complete with working torpedo system - won't be ready I'm afraid but I'll make sure the camera is with us. As a size comparison a pic of the LA with Sheerline Trafalgar alongside attached. The as yet unfinished Engel Typhoon is hidden under the sheets in the background. I'll even try and read the manuals as to how you work these new-fangled digi things before I get there. Anyone going with an 'Oberon'? Always fancied one.

Andrew
ajg141

Postby Sub culture » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am

Good grief, what a monster!

Hope you know a tame chiropractor! :lol:

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wheelerdealer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:35 pm

I have copy of the the Marine Modelling article on that large LA. Probably not much help to get it going but nice a nice read and to add some provenance to the model. Also got the orginial manual/leaflets/pics for the kit too if you need it.
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Really a comment on Andrew's monster.

Even if it is not finished bring any model along. It is often much more interesting to see the "insides".

No promises on Oberon models but the full size HMS Onyx is visible from the High Bridge in the town.

We have managed to get an enclosure slip in the AMS magazine so we are expecting a reasonanble turnout.

David Jacques on the Committee is offering soup and sandwiches and is even providing a steering course. If you are definitely attending an email to me would help with our planning!

See you,

David
Davy

Postby Davy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:41 am

Hi All,

Just had a phone call from Brian Alps to say that he will be coming to this.
(Brian is editir of the AMS magazine.)

David
Davy

Postby Sub culture » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:08 pm

Have all his Bonsai acclimatized to the great white north yet?

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:11 am

I didn't know Brian was into Bonsai trees or maybe you mean Bonsai submarines!

He sounds to be settling in well to his new Northern home - mind you he has had central heating problems - Bonsai threatening!!?

He has also not got his workshop sorted yet and he will be coming to Barrow without any working submarine.

He is also planning to make it to the Alfold show (I am too)

David
Davy

Next

Return to SubCommittee GB