Banner Ad 1

Fun Run 2/11/07

The Greater Rochester, NY area, otherwise known as "the Rochester Gang".

Fun Run 2/11/07

Postby donO » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:57 am

Had a great time once again. The YMCA had a family night, so we had lots of spectators peering through the windows at us.

Unfortunately Paul couldn't make it last night, but everyone else was there. I brought a little outboard plastic kit and ran around before gettting down to business and running the Boone. Dave and George worked on trimming and getting their Gatos to run pretty good. Larry had the reliable tug, and Patti ran the Cobra. Don was trimming out the Albacore. I think we gave them a good show!

Dave took some video of my Boone running fairly tight circles in the deep end of the pool. Hopefully he can post them up here today.

Can't wait till next month.
Don Osler

donO
SubCommittee Member

Postby Larry Kuntz » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:09 pm

I think we really need to re-name our nights at the 'Y' to Sauna Night. It is nice to come in out of the 20 F temperature to ~ 80 F with 99% humidity for a short while. After 2 hours I'm ready for the 20 F again. I think Big Dave has even lost a few pounds in there.... :D
Larry Kuntz
SubRon8
ImageImage
Larry Kuntz
SubCommittee Member

Pictures of the Fun Run for Paul

Postby donO » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:52 pm

We missed you Paul. Here's some pictures for you. Sarah forgot it was family night for the Y folks, so we had a big audience for a while.

Don Osler

donO
SubCommittee Member

Postby SeaHorse » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:33 pm

Hey 8 Balls,

How's it hanging ! Ha ! :)

Sorry I missed out on the Fun-Run, I had to go out of town for business :( Looks like everyone had a good time. So, did we get any new members from the on-lookers? I can see there were quite a few.

DonO, where did you get that little boat? Looks cool!!!

Anyone having any paint issues from the chemicals in the pool? My 17b took a beating the last month. The jury is still out on the Krylon primer. For all of the months I ran the Kilo, the Testors paint held up so much better...
Paul Strassner
SC 2813
SeaHorse

Postby Crazy Ivan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:42 pm

Hey Paul,

It's a shame you missed the maiden dive of my Gato; it ran pretty well. The tower is painted with both Krylon flat black and Testors Model Master Grey, the whole thing sealed with a coat of Krylon clear Matte Finish. It shows no ill effects from the chemicals. The inside of the hull has some Ruddy Brown Krylon primer, and it now has a lighter chalky look to it. My Akula, which has many hours in that pool, is done in that same primer and flat black and no overcoat. It shows no discoloration at all. I don't know why the difference. Donnie shot a lot of video; maybe he will cut some more DVD's for us to see.
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby donO » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:05 am

Paul: The little boat was something I found in the basement while cleaning and straightening up. No idea how old it is. I had started to RC it at one point, then shelved it. Really ran quite well.

Chemicals on my ruddy brown primer also turned it chalky. The flat black is still pretty good. I planned to repaint this summer anyway, so I'll try matte clear over it at that time.

No new members, just interested folks. :cry:
Don Osler

donO
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:07 am

Hi Guys,

Looks like a fun time!

Looking at the shot of George's Gato I was wondering if the upper deck trapped air during dives or if he and Dave were able to overcome this. It was a problem that was anticipated by several builders -- just wondering if it proved to be much of a concern.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:30 am

Hi Paul,
I had a few holes in mine but not enough. I was trapping air. It can be overcome with a few more well placed holes. I think George was trapping air too. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:26 am

Dave,

Makes sense. What kind of holes are you putting in the deck?
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:46 pm

Paul,

Actually, I'm not sure how much air remained under the deck. It did not seem to cause any problems when diving. I think a lot of the air went up the big vents I have under the conning tower, and much of what remained got out through the opening for the after torpedo loading hatch. Nonetheless, I have been planning to put vent holes along the edge of the deck casing ala USS Cod (which BTW Larry and I will be visiting on our way home from SR07).

Where I did have a problem with trapped air was in the very aft part of the hull above the rudder. I plan to put in those little pinholes between the prop guards as well.

Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby SeaHorse » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:46 pm

CI,

Looks like missed a lot of action last Sunday ! Your Gato looks good and it looks like she is sitting nice and straight in the water. How far did you take her down?

CI & DonO, I think it's the Krylon gray primer. Sounds like the Ruddy Brown has the same issues. The pool chemicals just went crazy on the sub and I even had a few coats of the same clear matte finish you used. It was just as bad with no sealer. My Kilo was air brushed with Testors and then sprayed with Testors dull coat as a sealer and it held up very well. Being so cold this time or year, I don't want to paint in the house until I can open a window ! As soon as I'm ready to paint, I have a batch of Top Secret U-Boat paint !!!

Don, maybe you can bring the little outboard to the next fun-run. I'd like to see the gear your using to run her. I have a small PBR that I would like to R/C :)
Paul Strassner
SC 2813
SeaHorse

Postby donO » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:24 am

Paul,

I looked at the box yesterday. It's an old Mitsuma kit from Japan. I still have no idea how old it is. The box shows about six variations on it, and the instructions showed putting two outboards on it if you wanted to.

I used the Exxtra RX and Spy speed control with a Bluebird servo. Power was from 4 AA 1200 mAh batteries which I put in the box they molded in the bottom of the hull.

I'll bring it along next time for you to run.
Don Osler

donO
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:19 am

Sitting straight. Ha!! Most of the time it was leaning up against my boat to keep upright!! Ha! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry CI! :wink:
CI did a great job getting her to run. It was cool seeing them both in the water. BTW- CI, I had those holes in the back of my boat and they seemed to get the air out of the section above the rudder, but I was defiantly trapping air in the rear of the upper deck. It was affecting my dive. I plan to do the holes on the rounded edge too. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:51 pm

To Paul S. (ignoring BD's witicisms :roll: ):

I had her down to the usual depth limit for that pool; i.e. to the point where signal was lost, the failsafe tripped, and the ballast blew. About two and a half feet I'd say. I did have her parked on the bottom for a bit in the three foot shallow basin.

Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:05 pm

Hey Mr P!
You arn't going to believe that crazy Russian are you. :roll:
If it wasn't for my boat to lean on he would have been running upside down. :lol: :P :lol: .
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to SubRon8