Banner Ad 1

New Member- maryland

Eastern US Coast Local Chapter - Lower New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, D.C., Virginia.

New Member- maryland

Postby USCGMAR » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:45 pm

I recently joined and have ordered my kit from Engle a Gato. Would like to know the available radios to use with submarines.

Garry Domnisse
USCGMAR
Garry
USCGMAR

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the SubCommittee!

Part of your decision for a radio needs to include the number of channels that you would like to have. For an R/C fleetboat, a realistic minimum is 4 channels (rudder, stern planes, motor, ballast)....including working bow planes, including the retract, can add two channels. Adding other working items like periscopes, torpedoes, etc. can add more channels.....

The choice of radios for surface use is somewhat limited unless you wish to consider having an air frequency radio converted.

The likely surface frequency radios (in no particular order) include:

- Futaba Skysport (4 channels)
- Polk Tracker III (6 or 8 channels)
- Robbe F-14 (8 channels)
- Airtronics VG400 or VG600 (4 or 6 channels)

Of the above, only the Polk Tracker is a computer radio. (perhaps this is a separate discussion?)

Some of us go the route of buying a radio that is sold as an air frequency unit and having it re-tuned (converted) to a surface frequency. For example, I had been using a Futaba 8UAF until recently replacing it with a Multiplex Evo 9.

My suggestion is that unless there is a specific air radio that you really have to have, then get one of the ground frequency radios. :)

Hope this helps as a start. Please ask any questions!

-Jeff

p.s. you don't live too far away from me, perhaps we can get together to talk subs?
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

welcome to the club...

Postby kielbasa » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:46 am

I just saw your post, I have a futaba 4ch skysport on 75mhz (surface) channel 66 that I was going to use for a tank project. That project is long on hold, and I no longer need the radio.

It is NIB, and comes with a RX battery. It just needs a RX.

I would like to get 50.00 for it.....
Let me know if you are interested.

Dave Brelsford
Catonsville, MD
"never trust cartoon physics....."
kielbasa
SubCommittee Member

Postby kielbasa » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:59 pm

I would loike to try to get all of the local guys together to talk subs as well. It would be great to get together as an informal group, and maybe try to find somewhere local to sail as well. If not, dinner and grub would be great as well

dave
"never trust cartoon physics....."
kielbasa
SubCommittee Member

Engel Temax questions

Postby USCGMAR » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:37 pm

Well I purchased an Robbe F14 and it is working fine I think. Does anyone have any experience with the Engel Temax installation and two ballest tank systems? :roll:
Garry
USCGMAR

Postby subdude » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:19 pm

Garry,

No one that I know of, maybe someone will chime in. Our membership chair, Don Osler, has a beautifully running Engle boat, but I don't know if he has the TEMAX system.

Jim
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi guys,

Garry is the person that I've been been trying to help get the Tmax unit working correctly.......he's got a beautifully completed Gato that is just about ready to float. But no working ballast. :(

So far all the troubleshooting is leading us right to the Tmax unit itself. If we had another one to do a temporary swap, we could make an absolute determination. :)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubComEast