Banner Ad 1

OLD WEBSITE AND POST.

Please use this forum to ask those "how to" questions on using all the interesting features available with our new forums.

OLD WEBSITE AND POST.

Postby SUBSHOP » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:14 pm

WHERE ARE THE POSTS FROM THE OLD WEBSITE? IS THERE A WAY TO DO A SEARCH TO FIND INFO ON THOSE OLD POSTS? NEIL
SUBSHOP

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:55 pm

Hi Neil,

When we moved from the old, custom built forum software, we tried to find someone who could extract the posts for archiving.....but no such luck.

On one of my archive CDroms, I still have the database. But as of now, the information is still not accessable.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

OLD WEBSITE AND POSTS

Postby SUBSHOP » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:15 pm

HEY JEFF, THE WEALTH OF INFO IN THOSE POSTS IS PRICELESS. MAYBE SOMEDAY THEY CAN BE ADDED TO THIS SITE. I KNOW THEY ARE IN GOOD HANDS IN THE MEANTIME! NEIL
SUBSHOP

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:15 am

Neil and all - The posts on this site include everything back to 2003 when the new forum software was implemented. I know Jeff and his gang of gurus tried to figure out a way to include the old ones, but the original forum was custom made software from Andy Hunt, and they had no luck moving them.

Guru Jeff - is there is a way a set of searchable PDFs could be created of the old posts?
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby ShadowPeo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:54 am

There would be a way to extract the data that would not be a problem, AFAIK the primary problem that I can see is related to the lack of defined usernames on the board, for full intergration, people would have to "claim" their own posts.

I am willing to try the extraction myself if someone cares to send me some of the data to work with, however it would prolly take a while, it all depends on how the data is stored.

As for PDF, in theory its possible and should not be to hard to do if you create a program to read the DB into PDF files based on given paramaters (I.E. Create PDF's by the month, or by board, by thread or whatever) but then again as I said, without knowing how the data is physically stored in the database I am unable to do much, but I am once again willing to give it a shot if someone cares to send me a small extract from the database
ShadowPeo

Return to Forum Tips & Tricks